Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Where are we now?

DH and I are now in London for 8 days. Our 11 days in Ireland were jammed packed, especially for the 8 days of the bus tour. I will start to blog some of the highlights very shortly.

After Ireland, the pace of life here in London seems frenetic. DH booked us into an apartment here in Chelsea. I expected ‘tiny’, he expected ‘spacious’ and guess who was correct? Me of course, after all it’s London and close into the city. 
Views from our window...




Inside...tiny but ‘perfectly formed’! 😀







The wash basin is tucked behind the bathroom door


Our nearest Tube station is South Kensington a 10 minute walk away...


And the area is full of quite beautiful old buildings. On our walks we saw lots of buildings being refurbished etc too. 
On the way to our apartment hotel on the first day, the cabbie pointed out the Michelin Building which is a block away from us. He told us it’s his favourite building and that it was the first garage ( service station) in the area in the early 1920s. Not many people would have had motor cars back then but this area would be perfect to set up a garage as this was an affluent area.


A short walk from our apartment is our grocery store as we are self catering...


A 20 minute walk in the other direction brings us to another busy road...






Yesterday we caught 3 trains ( including a very fast one) to Windsor to meet up with a friend who is now living in Bristol. 
First stop was Paddington...what a huge station! 




Then a train to Slough...


and finally a third train to Windsor. 


Then lunch at a nice French restaurant near the station...




Then lots of walking around the town. We didn’t tour the castle as we’d all done it on previous visits...luckily for us as the crowds were huge! 






Finally about 3.30 we all admitted to being tired so our friend headed off to get her car and DH started our trip of 3 trains back to Chelsea.  


9 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

what a wonderful holiday you're having. I hope you continue to enjoy :)
Diana

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm glad the weather has picked up for you. My children went to school in South Kensington. I definitely recommend you visit the museums. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay :)

Sue (this n that) said...

Great to get your update Maria. Love your Chelsea flat too, its compact and has everything you'll need. A nice spot for the table to eat and people watch! Cheers xx

tülin said...

How a nice trip :)

Nanna Chel said...

It all looks so very interesting, Maria. So much history in the UK. I would love to visit but would probably get lost over there 😀

Vireya said...

The Michelin building looks amazing. I wouldn't have guessed that it was car-related! (Except maybe for the name.)

The flat looks perfectly adequate, but definitely not spacious. Nice to have a view of the street and windows you can open.

Jackie said...

Your apartment looks the perfect size, after all you are only there to sleep and eat.

I found the pace in London to be hard to handle, and the driving the cars on the wrong side of the road something that I needed to really be careful of. I went to cross the road at one point after looking to see if any traffic was coming and had to quickly step back as a car careened around the corner. Of course I had looked the wrong way.

God bless.

Rosie said...

You are having a great holiday although it sounds a bit frantic! We always try to fit too much into a holiday but you never know if you will ever be back. I love your photos, reminds me of our trip there many years ago.

Cynthia said...

I love London so much and your little apartment reminds me of the ones I have stayed in over the years. When I come home to my house, it always seems excessive! The Michelin Building is interesting, pretty fancy for a service garage. Nice you had a trip out to Windsor and got to visit a friend.