Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Our Ireland Tour; Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Limerick

When we arrived in Galway, the thing that amazed us most was how fast the Corrib River was flowing! 


We only had a short stay here but walked around some of the streets.






The Spanish Gate is a remnant of the old city wall built to protect the docks from invaders...






And of course I had to stop and admire a potted garden in my favourite colour! 😀


By the time we got to the famous Cliffs of Moher, the not so good weather had arrived. The 680 ft high Cliffs  were a bit shrouded in mist. But nonetheless, very impressive! 


Luckily I had a folding umbrella in my handbag! 


I admitted defeat and walked back to the visitor centre to wait for DH who was determined to get more photos. After about 20 mins he arrived at the visitor centre thus...


By then it was almost time to get back on the bus...and wouldn’t you know it? The weather actually cleared didn’t it? So DH dashed up to the lookout to get some photos...


So there you go, some more of the Cliffs of Moher showing! 👍
And our overnight stop that night was Limerick, a lovely city on the Shannon River. 
The views from our hotel window. 




As you can see the rainy weather followed us from the Cliffs of Moher. 
That night was very special as I met a distant cousin whom I’d found about 12 months ago via an Ancestry.com.au DNA test. He and his wife drove from their home 1 1/2 hours away from Limerick to meet us. It was a wonderful meeting and we chatted away for quite a while. Jeremiah’s great great grandmother and my great great grandfather were brother and sister. The plan for the future research is that I will use Australian records to find out more details about my Murphy ancestor for Jeremiah. The Irish family have very little about my gg grandfather except that he went to Australia with an O’Herlihy cousin. 

5 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

How exciting to meet your cousin, Maria. I have found out I can use Ancestry.com at our local library so I might do that and chase up a few more Scottish relatives of which there are many as some of them had very large families. Love the photos.

Vireya said...

I have a friend who is in Ireland at the moment and she seems to be following you day by day! Just this morning she had the cliffs of Moher on her instagram.
The purple street planter is lovely - did you notice if the plants are planted directly into it, or are they all in plastic pots to be swapped in and out?

Jackie said...

How lovely to meet a long lost cousin. Great that you can share information.

That planter is gorgeous and the cliffs are breathtaking.

God bless.

mamasmercantile said...

That is wonderful to meet a long lost cousin on your amazing trip away. So much to admire, the sheer beauty is one that I am sure you will remember.

Sue (this n that) said...

That was a nice reunion for you.
Fantastic scenery, shame it was damp but that doesn't deter you intrepid adventurers!