Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Our Ireland Tour; Avoca Woollen Mill

We visited one of the oldest remaining woollen mills in Ireland. There are still some hand looms but also mechanised looms too. 








One of the non mechanised looms...






The mill buildings appear to be built from stone I thought they looked so quaint! ( I found myself using this adjective and picturesque so often during this tour 😀) 







It had a stream flowing through which possibly had been used to wash fleeces etc in the past. 


Pretty little culvert built from rocks too! 


The mill was set in lovely gardens too.




And from the extensive gift shop I bought a soft merino scarf for me and a few gifts for friends. 

The plan originally was to replace a very much loved wool and cashmere scarf that I had bought in Scotland in 2008. Despite caring for that scarf, it had become the victim of a moth or silverfish. Avoca Mill had cashmere scarves but the price started at €122 so it was amazing how quickly I changed my mind about buying such a scarf! The price of the merino was much more reasonable as you can imagine and it is actually as soft as my cashmere scarf. 
The items for sale in the gift shop such as mohair throws, woollen coats, hats, toys etc were all gorgeous but I left them for others to buy! Lol 😂 

4 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, you would have been like a pig in mud there. LOL! What a great place to visit.

Vireya said...

An interesting visit. It does look quaint. And picturesque. And the greenery and gardens are lovely (that's one I use too much).

Jackie said...

We visited a mill in Scotland, but the one you visited looks much older. I bought a mohair sweater at that mill, and boy am I looking after that baby.

God bless.

Sue (this n that) said...

How wonderful and I can imagine how much you would have enjoyed this.
Hmmm, what a shame the cashmere was so expensive! Glad you found a nice substitute though.
I can certainly understand why you use the word 'quaint' its the only way to describe all these beautiful cottages, buildings and villages!