Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Spring...

Here in Australia we are just a few days away from Spring. Here in subtropical Brisbane, we don’t tend to have much difference between the seasons unlike the southern states. 
My garden does tend to get a bit neglected but in the last few months I’ve put a bit of effort into it. I’ve divided up bromeliads and re planted them in pots as well as directly into garden beds. Possums don’t seem to eat bromeliads or succulents so I’m extending their presence in the garden. 









DD1 gave me some dracena cuttings and I’ve potted those up too...and yes, the possums don’t seem to find them tasty either πŸ˜€. 


Some petunias have escaped being eaten by the possum gang too...


( I use the plastic forks to protect the plants when they are seedlings) 
The faithful nasturtiums that come up every year are putting on a bright display...


Some of the succulents have also flowered...




Not many veggies at the moment as DH and I will be away during September.
A self-sown pumpkin is doing nicely at the moment but will probably succumb to powdery mildew when the humid weather arrives. Or the vine and any pumpkins could be chomped on by hungry possums like my last few vines. 


Some tomatoes have come up in the compost that I put around the frangipani/ plumeria. Should take them out...but at least they are crowding out weeds perhaps! 


Months ago my cousin gave me a clump of eshallot seedlings. I planted them in a pot with a few inches of compost at the top. They’ve grown beautifully as had a whole lot of self sown plants. I did weed these plants out to start with but it looks like some more weeding is needed. 


Just 2 tomato plants which have been planted especially so far this season...


This meme is just so appropriate 🀣



Even though we Brisbanites reckon there isn’t much difference between the seasons, the king orchid that grows neglected in the back corner of the garden can always be depended on to ‘know’ exactly when Spring is looming...


Hope those drought ravaged rural areas of Australia get some rain soon 🀞🀞. 




8 comments:

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Maria, lovely to have that look through your garden. You've got lots of goodies there and its always great when we can outsmart those tricky possums!
Good idea of the plastic forks for seedlings too.
Cheers and enjoy your holiday. Enjoyed that tomato funny :D)

Nanna Chel said...

Not much rain here, Maria. We have dozens of broms here that my husband bought at garage sales. Many need repotting but they seem to survive anyway. I won't be planting many veggies this year due to the big dry.

Kate said...

I enjoyed visiting your garden. Gardening is a challenge with the weather and hungry critters but keeps us on our toes. I liked your 'meme' - it is so appropriate.

Lin said...

Lots going on in your garden Maria. Brilliant cartoon - oh so true. Enjoy your travels. xx

Vireya said...

We can only look on and be jealous of your climate. I have a few broms but have to be careful with them and bring them under cover if there will be frost (guess what I was doing last night just before I went to bed, when the temperature had dropped to 1?). We can't put tomatoes outside until November some time, and then it is a real race between trying to get them ripe and having them stop growing because it is too cold!

doodles n daydreams said...

We are having a beautiful sunny day for the last day of winter - 22C which is hot for us. Spring arrives tomorrow, I'll wait and see what it brings :) Spring, in like a lion, out like a lamb.
Diana

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

Maria I really enjoyed a tour of your garden, there are lots of similarities between Brisbane and Mackay, garden wise.Your King Orchid is sensational, I have a new one on my mandarin tree which has put out a large new shoot so heres hoping. Interesting that you say your pumpkin will probably succumb to mould, ours do too once the humidity strikes. However it is wonderful to have a varied garden, and I always loved the Brisbane climate when I lived there.

Jackie said...

We are moving into fall here in Canada so gardening is winding down.

Have fun with all your plants and show pictures, lots so I can believe that spring and summer are happening somewhere.

God bless.