Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Same outfit; two Fridays

Since retiring I rarely ‘dress up’ these days so some of the ‘posh’ clothes languish in the wardrobe. But recently a favourite jacket got an outing 2 Fridays in a row! 
First Friday was to the opening of the parish art and craft show in the evening. And talk about luck, DH and I won the lucky door prize. 


The basket had really lovely foodstuffs in it and had been donated by the local Federal Member who also opened the show. 
And of course he circulated after he opened the show and chatted to guests. 


The following Friday I had been invited to a Memorial/Wake. I mind at least one grandchild on Friday afternoons and had sort of decided that I wouldn’t attend as that day I had 2 to mind; one in the morning as well. I should mention here that the deceased was a former student of mine who died suddenly while holidaying overseas and was only 49. 
Here’s a class photo of Mandy in my Year 7 class in 1981


(Thanks to Facebook we had reconnected in the last 10 or so years.) 

Another former student contacted me on the Wednesday on behalf of one of Mandy’s sisters asking whether I would be attending as the MC planned to mention me. 
Long story short...lots of reorganising etc but I got to the Treasury Hotel at 4.10 pm, joining former work colleagues of Mandy’s plus many, many friends of hers,  to celebrate her life. 





So glad I did make the effort to attend, especially seeing the lovely reaction from Mandy’s partner when he was introduced to me. Apparently she spoke about me a bit and it may have been some of my influence that made Mandy a ‘grammar pedant’ 😄!   I was very proud of her achievements. 







A number of my former students also attended and it was lovely catching up with them. They are very polite darlings refusing to believe I’m 68! Lol. 


I used to be taller than this lovely lady who looked after me so well during the evening and also insisted that she and another friend walk with me the few blocks to my bus stop. 
And here’s an old photo from 1979 when the school celebrated its 75th Anniversary and most of us dressed up. The lovely Sharyn in the previous photo is the student in the white bonnet beside my male colleague. 


A lifetime ago it seems 💕





8 comments:

Susan said...

Funeral are always sad but - so young - but I think she was celebrated the way she would have liked.

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

A lovely story Maria and it's always so rewarding when we make the effort to attend such special events. I'm sure you were very highly thought of as a teacher. It's also so nice to win something isn't it? Best wishes, Pauline

angela said...

It’s wonderful how much of an impact you made on your students.
It’s teachers like you that make the world go round.
I’m so very glad you made it to the memorial

Pink Rose said...

Hi Maria what a touching story,i am so glad that you did attend,it is lovely that she thought so much of you,what a wonderful teacher and friend you are xx

Vireya said...

Congratulations on the door prize.

Your former student will obviously be missed by many. It's good you were able to attend, but such a sad reason for a party.

Lin said...

Congratulations on your win Maria - looks like lots of goodies in that basket. What a lovely way to celebrate the life of your former student although ir must have been difficult. Great to give the jacket an airing! xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm glad you got to wear your lovely jacket. Congrats on your prize at the first. I'm sure you were much appreciated at the second. It must be a very sad time for all those who knew Mandy but memorial wake was a wonderful tribute to her x

Nanna Chel said...

Goodness me, that was a young age to pass away. How sad for everyone. Obviously Mandy was well liked and friends and family will have lots of happy memories of her.