Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Saturday at Let's Get Stitched...

Saturday was a free day at LGS and all the ladies went off to do 'their own thing'. I was extremely lucky that a blogger friend who lives in Melbourne had offered to show me around...how lucky was I?
Firstly Vireya took me to the suburb of Brunswick where we visited GJ Fabrics and Rathdowne Remnants. I had so much fun looking through both these places.
Firstly GJ Fabrics

At Rathdowne Remnants a collection of old sewing machines were a feature...



Then we caught a tram to the city and our first stop was the State Library. The dome which is a feature of the library's ceiling/roof had been covered in. Since my last visit to this building, the dome has been uncovered. 


It has made a huge difference to this beautiful old building which was started in 1854...which is old in Aussie terms. 



The library always features various displays...
The next photo was taken at the front of the library...there are red bean bags dotted around on the lawn...as you can see many people enjoy a lounge on a bean bag....


We walked on a bit further and Vireya took me to a yarn shop called Morris and Sons...an absolutely beautiful shop...so many beautiful yarns. 


In the same building that the yarn shop was in was a little cafe that Vireya recommended; the food and coffee were superb. 


Then Vireya took me to a shop called L'uccello's which sells beautiful vintage haberdashery items...a truly beautiful shop with lovely staff. On the same floor we also visited a wonderful button shop and a shop specializing in Asian fabrics
Photos taken in L'ucellos...






Then we wandered along the lovely Melbourne streets where Vireya pointed out some of the lovely old buildings...where I come from, very few old buildings survive, being the victims of the wrecker's ball in the 1960-1970s...I love to look at these beautiful old buildings...



Vireya showed me where I was to meet my niece at 3.30. Meg was coming to Melbourne on the train after finishing her shift as a nurse...this was so lovely of her.
As well as showing me around, Vireya also made sure I knew what tram to catch back to my motel, where I should catch it and very importantly, what stop I had to get off at in Preston. I was very grateful for all that information. When Vireya was heading off to catch her train, she gave me a jar of honey from her own beehives...how special is that? 
My beautiful niece Meg...
I caught the tram back to Preston and arrived just in time for the LGS dinner at Stolberg's Beer Cafe...that's what it is called but just seemed like a pub to me. The food was good and the conversation great but by 8.30 most of us are ready to head off to our rooms and 'collapse' after such a busy and wonderful day.

10 comments:

Anthea said...

Hi Maria - so glad to see all the great pics from your time in Melb & to see you've had such a fun (&noisy!) time... well done & I expect to see pics of purchases...

Lin said...

Ooooh! what an amazing day!! I think my favourites would have been the vintage habbie and the buttons but they all look so amazing. The library is a fantastic building too. So much all in one day - your head must have been buzzing. xx

Janice said...

I love the state library. My cousin took me there on my visit to Melbourne a few years ago. The fabric shops look great too, I am sure you had a brilliant time. Jx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Awesome photos.....bet you all had a ball...

Anonymous said...

you had lots od fun Maria and it was so wonderful to meet you in person,you are a lovely lady.xx

Helen S said...

Terrific to see all your wonderful posts of the trip Maria. Glad you got to Morris's.
In all the times I have been to Melbourne I have never been inside the State Library. I will put in on the agenda for my trip in a fortnight.
Safe and Happy travels!
Helen S

Helen S said...

Terrific to see all your wonderful posts of the trip Maria. Glad you got to Morris's.
In all the times I have been to Melbourne I have never been inside the State Library. I will put in on the agenda for my trip in a fortnight.
Safe and Happy travels!
Helen S

Susan said...

Fabulous to see your photos Maria. I haven't been to the library for many many years. Glad you've found lots of nice places for food etc., and it was a great opportunity for you to catch up with your Niece :D)

Susan said...

Sounds wonderful - Lucello's is certainly on the list - if I ever get there!

Marit Johanne said...

You really had a good guide to show you interesting places and shops! And thank you for sharing.