Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bell City Preston...

On my recent visit to Melbourne I stayed at Bell City in Preston which is in the northern part of the city. Bell City consists of a number of different types of accommodation all in the one location. On my first day I was interested to hear that this complex had once been a hospital...The Preston and Northcote Community Hospital. 
Remember I'm a Queenslander where the wrecker's ball has reigned supreme over the years...so re-using and repurposing buildings is a bit of a novel concept to me. (yes there have been a few examples of refitting buildings especially in later years, such as the woolstores along the Brisbane River which became classy apartment blocks)
I didn't want to share a room and I opted to book a single 'studio' in the Sleep and Go Hotel which is part of this large complex...I was to find out that there are many different types and standard of accommodation just in the Sleep and Go. I've already written about my tiny room...and the unusual, but extremely compact bathroom...
My compact wardrobe and drawers...
my bed was very comfortable...
 If I chose to prop my head on the 2 pillows provided in the evening, I was able to lie on my side and admire the lights of the night-time view...the city was in the distance...on the first night I tended to admire the night view instead of sleeping :-/
The view out of my window; I took these photos at dusk...
 With the zoom...

One morning I awoke very early...about 3.30 am...I saw the Southern Cross constellation out of my window as clear as anything. I stayed awake watching as the stars in that group 'moved' with the earth's rotation...until I could see them no more...and then I drifted off to sleep. On another morning  as the sky lightened I watched these clouds move across the sky out of my window...

I've previously written about our Friday Night Pizza Party and this was in the more upmarket part of the Bell City complex...in Rydges. (although all the hotels are part of Rydges) This room was much bigger than mine with kitchen facilities and 2 bedroom areas and a large entertaining area...

 One wall was completely glass in this apartment and this is part of the view out of the window...I'm guessing that is the chimney stack where the old hospital laundry had been...


 On my last morning I walked along Bell St and around into Hotham St, taking photos of this complex which was once a hospital...but I'm pretty sure there are also newly built blocks in the complex too.
Firstly where I stayed...and it does look like a hospital!

 Now looking right towards the hotel where most of the ladies stayed...
 A closer look...

The signage on one of the Bell St entrances...
Looking inwards at that entrance...


 The dark brown brick building towards the left of the photo is the 'beer cafe' where we had dinner on Saturday night...

Walking towards the entrance on Hotham St...
So that's a little tour of some of the buildings in Bell City.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a lovely place to stay Maria,I was in the same building as you.xx

Anthea said...

Wow Maria, a lot of great pics from your time in Melb for LGS! Your accommodation looks really lovely & what a fab view you had!