Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Weekend in Wandoan

I mentioned in my last post that DH and I drove to Wandoan for our #4 granddaughter’s birthday. I thought I’d share some of the photos I took. 
First of all, here’s a map showing the town's position in regards to where I live in Brisbane. 


The family live on a property about 70km from the township of Wandoan. It’s a cattle property. 


The afternoon we arrived, DsD1 took us for a drive around part of the property. It was in that farm Ute in the photo above. I got to sit in the cab but the rest of the family sat in the tray at the back. DH told me later it was a rough ride! 😜 lol 


Even the birthday girl sat in the back with her Grandpa Jim. 


There had been rain in the weeks before we were there and instead of being brown, the property had turned green and lush...such a transformation! 




Our son in law jumped down from the back of the Ute and opened and closed gates for us...




This group of cattle took their time getting off the track...


After the drive we walked around past the big sheds to the main house...the girls loved the 7 farm dogs!!


Next morning, we followed Grandpa Jim around while he did some chores.
Horses to be fed...






And I plucked up the courage to pat this friendly equine. 😉


We also helped feed the poddy calves...



Those calves sure have strong suction on those feeding bottles...I needed both hands to hang on to it. 
And that filled in the morning until it was time to drive into town for Abby’s party. 
And after the party we headed for home with just a stop for a late lunch at our favourite cafe in Chinchilla. 


It looks a humble establishment but the food is pretty good. 





7 comments:

Susan said...

a long commute - but fun to share Abby's birthday

Maria said...

Lovely to visit the farm for Abby's BD...
Great to see the green...

Nanna Chel said...

How lovely for them to have some rain out there, Maria. I was hoping the recent rain helped a few of our struggling farmers.

Jackie said...

Oh wow, how lovely and green.

So glad you got a visit in with them.

God bless.

Rosie said...

What a nice visit you had to the farm and a party as well. I think a day out is always a good day. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

So interesting to see a modern cattle property in Australia. Thanks for sharing. It was always a treat (and now dear memories) when I was a child to bottle feed the calves on my cousins’ dairy farm and feel how strong and eager they were for their milk. It looks a wonderful place for your little granddaughters to grow up.

mamasmercantile said...

What a wonderful visit and thrilled you were able to get together.