Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Some outings on our Victorian visit.

Just to assure you that I wasn’t stuck in a motel room with 2 little girls all the time we were away recently, I thought I’d write about some of our outings. 
Although I must point out that our ‘grazing plates’ of cheeses and antipasto in our motel room were fun and delicious! 



One particular day I ended up having a most enjoyable outing in the town of Maryborough. My girls, along with their daughters were paying a condolence visit to their dad’s partner who had suggested they lunch with her. So the girls dropped me at the Maryborough library with me clutching a bag which contained my knitting and the library book that I was currently reading at that time. I read a chapter of the book, then thought that a cup of coffee might be nice, the day being quite cold.
So I went for a walk. I came to a bakery but thought the lack of a coffee machine might indicate that the style of coffee I like wasn’t available. Have I ever mentioned that my children describe me as a ‘coffee snob’ ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜œ. 
Any way I kept walking and saw this imposing brick building on the corner in the next block.


I think the sign might have been the original business because as I got closer I saw a smaller sign on the corner door saying Madame Chi Chi. I went in and received a really warm welcome, both from Madame Chi Chi herself ( Belinda) and also from the beautifully heated interior of the cafe. It was like someone had just wrapped me up in their arms and said ‘There there, no need to worry...’ ๐Ÿ’•
Belinda described the items she was offering for lunch.
The view through the servery showing all the delicious panini fillings...
Belinda explained that she used local products...



I chose a vegetarian panini and a cup of coffee. While my lunch was being prepared I sat in the dining room and admired this lovely old building’s interior. 




A poster in the dining room...


My lunch...


After my delicious lunch, I settled down to knit as I expected to need to fill in a lot more time before the girls would be back at the library to pick me up. 


I’d hardly knitted a row when my phone rang. It was DD1 and they were at the library waiting for me...a bit early I thought! So I directed them to the cafe. 
Turns out their stepmother was too upset to make lunch after all so they’d left after a polite interval. So now Madame Chi Chi made them feel very welcome and then took their orders for some lunch and I had another coffee. 
And because there were 3 of us, I felt no guilt whatsoever of buying a very exotic looking slice that was in the glass case in the store part of the cafe. It’s made locally by a Romanian lady and those eclairs on top are filled with berry flavoured cream.


We got it cut into 3


Delicious and almost guilt free at only a third each! Lol ๐Ÿ˜† 
What a special place to find on a day when I think I needed some TLC. 
My son in law Cam ( DD1’s husband) has an uncle who lives in the town of Avoca, and this Uncle David would be celebrating his birthday on the Friday and mine was the day after. So the girls took us both out to lunch in Maryborough on the Thursday. The venue was the Highland Society Club. Holly was rather taken with the statue out the front...

( My choice from the menu wasn’t great but the rest of our party said theirs were good...don’t you hate it when you make a not so good choice ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคช)! 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, I am a coffee snob too, Maria. It's really hard sometimes to get a good coffee. That is a lovely cafe. It is good you were able to enjoy a little time for yourself.

mamasmercantile said...

Looks like a wonderful place to eat. The cake choice shared looked amazing.

Jackie said...

Maria, Madame Chi Chi's looks wonderful. The dessert looked scrumptious. Glad you got to share it with the girls.

God bless.

Maria said...

You found a lovely spot to have your coffee and lunch , it's nice your DDS joined you and then you could share a delicious sweet...

angela said...

I too am a coffee snob. But once you have had good coffee you can’t go back lol
Dessert looks very yummy

Cynthia said...

That looks like such a cozy place to spend some time with your coffee and knitting and it seems M. ChChi made you all feel right at home. Too bad about the food at your birthday dinner. It’s always so disappointing when your mouth is set for something delicious and it doesn’t happen. I’m glad to see you all got out and about for a bit of fun, although you did seem to quite enjoy the time with your precious little granddaughters in the hotel room.