Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Wool on Sunday

Confession time...I tend to procrastinate when it's time to start a new project. Especially this is so when it's a knitted throw and the thought of casting on 200 or so stitches and then those first few rows where the pattern is being set...I dither/put it off! Lol.
After the 'knitting marathon' to finish 2 throws for the Parish Art Show in late July, I decided to just focus on starting some projects ready for the future. No new patterns, just old favourites that I can just pick up and work on when I decide I want to make a gift/Raffle prize or whatever. So...

I started 4 throws and popped 3 into bags and I've continued working on the 4th one.
Another garter stitch chevron one...

Yet another garter stitch chevron/ripple one!


A honeycomb pattern throw using as the main colour some remnant navy blue yarn from the Bendigo Woollen Mill bought on a holiday to Victoria a few years ago...or maybe it was a lot of years ago! 😂 lol

The other 'start' was a throw using a favourite slipstitch design and some gorgeous Jo Sharp yarn that I bought before I retired...I've been retired 7 years! I continued working on this as it is so light a project that it was perfect to take away last month when DH and I spent 6 days in Sydney. I think I have enough of this yarn to make another throw! Lol

One more photo that is yarn related. I kept some of the knitted items that my girls wore as babies. The reality is that today's babies rarely (if at all) wear the styles of the 1980s so instead of a granddaughter wearing this particular little top that I knitted in 1984 for DD2, Gerald Bear ( or should that be Geraldine Bear? 😉) is now wearing it while the weather is cold. The little girls love it!

Joining with Janine from the Rainbow Hare Blog for Wool on Sunday.


11 comments:

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Starting some projects in advance is a good idea, though you've never struck me as a procrastinator! I love the slip stitch design in those colours and the bear looks very comfy in that beautiful sweater. Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, I am not sure what the word procrastinate means. LOL! Then again, it could be my middle name :-) Yesterday, I put all my wool in an Op Shop bin and just kept the cotton I use for dishcloths as I know I am never going to make any throws. Hopefully someone else will put it to good use.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thats a great idea Maria. Lovely starts all of them. Ted looks very happy with the new attire xx

Kim said...

I too hate casting on oodles of stitches and knitting the first couple of rows of a pattern. There always seems to be a lot of unravelling when I do this. Your colourful and beautiful throws always bring a smile to my day. I always love the patterns and colours you knit. Geraldine looks very chic in that sweet little baby garment.

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Maria,
Your starts-in-a-bag are such a great idea!
Each of them are beautiful too.
Perfect Bear knit :D) xx

Maria said...

what a good idea to make a start on your projects sew you can continue as you wish..
Love your Chevron ripple pattern and the others look pretty too.
Teddy looks cosy in his jumper...

angela said...

I have the opposite problem.
I start so many projects and then they sit around waiting for me to finish them lol
The teddy is very cute

Lin said...

You choose such beautiful colour combinations to work with Maria, they all look gorgeous. xx

mamasmercantile said...

Such beautiful colour combinations. Love the teddy bear outfit, a real delight.

Susan said...

Perfect use for the old lovely knitted garments!

and very handy to have those projects ready to go - how often do you need to check and recheck 200 stitches??? LOL

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

Your knitting projects are inspirational Maria. I still have high hopes of doing some serious knitting one day when other projects don't lure me in. And summer is just around the corner here so it might have to be with cotton, do you think? I kept all of my children's knitted garments thinking my Grandchildren would wear them, but of course they are too old fashioned now, although beautiful. So to the op shop.

Pauline.