Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Boomerang Bags

As more and more retailers no longer offer free single use plastic bags for carrying purchases, the result is a plethora of reusable bags being offered for sale. ( In my state, the government has legislated to ban the single use bags)
One example is the Boomerang bag which is made of cloth and mostly made by community minded groups and offered for sale at various outlets, including markets. The bags are very similar to the morsbags I saw in the U.K.when we were there in 2008. I'm thinking the name Boomerang reflects the fact that you can keep using these bags; as long as you remember to put them back in your car! Lol
It was decided in our parish that we would make Boomerang Bags for sale. Donations of fabric, including old curtains, sheets and doona covers were requested. So I took a hard look at my dressmaking fabrics and also my patchwork cottons and donated quite a bundle.
So then some pockets were screen printed...

A prototype was sewn, ready for the first sewing bee...

But progress was slow via the sewing bee method. I couldn't make it to the sewing session on that day and it was the same for others. So the organiser came up with the concept of 'outworkers' and the 'assembly line' concept. I put my hand up to help. I was given the task of sewing the handles. I was spoiled as the handles had been already cut out. So it was just a case of pressing, pinning and sewing.
I've done 2 lots so far...total of 39 handles. Maybe more to come.

My favourite sewing machine, my vintage Elna 'work horse' needs a service ( the needle is going up and down when the bobbin is being refilled 😕) so I need to get that done next week in case I get some more handles to sew...or use the newish Janome? 

6 comments:

Jackie said...

What a great fundraising idea!

I need to remember my reusable bags a bit more often. Though those plastic ones from the grocery are handy for cleaning the kitty litter box.

God bless.

Vireya said...

That's interesting. The local Boomerang Bag scheme here doesn't sell the bags, they are given away and meant to be returned. But in reality they don't often come back. Selling them is probably more practical! It would at least contribute towards cost of the materials.

Well done making all those handles. I think I would volunteer for that, too, as it is a good job for chain-sewing.

Hope you can get your Elna going properly!

Lin said...

What a great idea. xx

mamasmercantile said...

Such a great idea and a great fundraiser.

Maria said...

What a fantastic way to fund raise .... I made a pile of these bags last year....

Susan said...

Another great charity effort Maria.
Probably a good idea to get that machine serviced...but use the newer one in the meantime - machines need to be run every so often to keep them running well.