Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

March Birthdays...

Earlier in March DD1 organised a surprise party for her husband who was turning 40. We all managed to keep it a secret and the family were all ready and  waiting for Cam to come home. We had all brought food and DsD2 had made the birthday cake. We had parked our cars in streets a little way from DD1 and Cam's house.
DH, Anthea and I were the first to arrive so we had some time with baby Carrie...

And when Cam arrived home we were all ready to shout out 'Surprise!' Including Anthea whom we had coached! Lol  Cam was chuffed that we were all there.


#2 granddaughter has been nicknamed 'Whelan the Wrecker' by her 2 grandmas and she was in fine form that evening. DD1 has a huge selection of DVDs and they are all arranged alphabetically in the shelves. Well, Miss Holly started pulling the cases out and big cousin Anthea was trying to put them back...but not in order of course...but so sweet.

( Whelan the Wrecker is a well-known demolition company in Melbourne. My girls' dad was from Melbourne ( and always used the term 'Whelan the Wrecker' to describe anything or anyone who was destructive)  as are Holly's paternal grandparents. Here in Brisbane, 'our demolition company' is the Deen Brothers! )
And today, March 31, was my sister in law's 60th. My brother organised a lunch with those of us who could make it, as quite a few of the family were away for Easter.
A surprise guest was my SiL's brother who had flown up from Sydney. He brought a special gift that my brother had organised.
The birthday girl was speechless!

That parcel contained a painting that my SiL had seen in a gallery and fallen in love with. My romantic brother tracked down the artist and 'talked money' and eventually secured the painting.

The painting is of an old Queensland style house situated on Enoggera Terrace, Red Hill, right here in Brisbane.

This restaurant is well known for its pizzas so several were ordered for sharing.

My 2 younger nephews are so grown up now...I'm a very proud Aunty.

A lovely lunch and celebration to end a busy month.

6 comments:

Hilachas said...

What a fabulous celebration with family. Beautiful family.

Chookyblue...... said...

Your just a part girl.... Lovely to be able to spend time with the family ......

angela said...

What a lovely surprise.
Yes being a Melbourne girl I knew exactly what you meant by whealan the wreaker lol
I have used the term nay times myself over the years
Happy birthday to all xx

Nanette said...

Deen the wrecker doesn't have quite the same ring as Whelan...that phrase wasused alot in my childhood and I used it too with my kids.
That painting is wonderful, lucky birthday girl.
You always have such fun with your lovely big family Maria:)

Jackie said...

So much fun. Love the nickname Whelan the Wrecker. It has quite the ring to it.

That painting is gorgeous. Your brother is awesome.

God bless.

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, I am quite familiar with Whelan the Wrecker although I am a Queenslander but I did live in Melbourne for four years when young. The house in the painting looks a bit like ours...with better paintwork than ours :-)