Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

Our little house guest...

It's a long weekend here and DD 2 has gone camping leaving her little dog, Jimmy Hans, with DH and I. He's a sweet little fellow and I always enjoy 'babysitting' him. 
A little while ago I decided to make him a quilt...just a simple strip, QAYG one. My daughter's favourite storybooks as a child were the delightful Richard Scarry series and I had bought some fabrics from the range that had been released which used his drawings. So I had decided to use some of these fabrics in Jimmy's quilt. 



The backing is rather 'vintage'...I bought several metres of this fabric to back a quilt that was made of squares. Each of the squares had an outline drawing ironed on it and each student in my class that year painted a square using Hobbytex paints. I then sewed the squares into a quilt and the class presented our teacher aide with this gift on the day she left on maternity leave. So what year are we talking about here....ummm...??
It was 1976 and the 2.5 metres of fabric left over from that project has been hoarded all these years! A couple of times I've gone to 'ditch' it but somehow it remains. I used some of the fabric in 2012, and now this project and there is still quite a bit left! Lol
It celebrates American Independence...

The fabric was purchased at the Coles Variety Store that was in the city...Coles had a huge fabric department on the first floor, adjacent to their famous cafeteria. The price must have been good as I bought far too much! :-)

Last night Jimmy snuggled down on his new blankie...cuddling his toy...


Since we last looked after him, Jimmy has moved with DD2...instead of his backyard being a postage stamp sized, paved courtyard, he now lives in a house with a yard...but he still loves exploring our garden...


But he doesn't mind sitting on my lap while I watch the Old School episode from last night which we recorded...

But running after balls being thrown sure tire a little fellow out...The rug that I made DH 12 years ago, must have looked very inviting...

It's funny though, even though I knitted that for DH, Eduardo also thinks that it is his! 

6 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What a lovely house guest....looks like he loves being spoilt

Noela said...

They make lovely company don't they. I miss my dog and have been thinking of getting another one soon. Looks like he loves his new blanket. Hugs.....

Anthea said...

Jimmy will love his quilt Noela! And goodness me, I don't feel like such a bad hoarder after your story about the backing for it!

Nanette said...

Lovely of you to make Jimmy his very own blankie, but maybe he'd better watch out that his mum doesn't pinch his cute quilt...funny how the animals always seem to claim the best blankets.

Vireya said...

What a sweetie wrapped up in his quilt, and what amazing fabric!

Sue (this n that) said...

That's a lovely blanket for Jimmy.
He looks very cuddly inside it.
He also looks very happy being doggysit.
(We enjoy Old School too :D))