Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

A bit more of this and that...

Firstly a photo of Eduardo the cat who is fully recovered from his nasty abscess and is once again 'living for mealtimes' and reminding me vociferously, if he thinks I'm a bit slow at getting his dinner in his bowl...here though, he is just reclining on the printer...


We have had a few late afternoon/evening thunderstorms here in recent weeks, and the rain has really benefited the garden.
Queenslanders who have mango trees in their backyards know that the trees don't always bear fruit in consistent quantities...some years there is abundance...other years we get poor crops. It looks like this year is a 'good year'. Here's a closeup photo of part of our 2013 crop.
Our humble variety has fruited well. The flying foxes/fruit bats will take a large share of the fruit but there will still be some for us!
 My latest geranium acquisition has lovely big flowers...I bought this plant at the recent Christmas markets I went to...

My eggplants (aubergines) are just about ready to pick.
I grew this plant in a large pot and placed it in the netted compound to try to prevent Ms Turkey from digging it up.

 Ms Turkey hasn't been seen in our garden recently...she must be trashing visiting someone else's garden :-) Because she hasn't  been scratching up my veggie garden beds, some potatoes that I had planted months ago have actually started growing...I'd given up on them!

Here's another of my geraniums which is flowering...over the last few years, I've really got to love geraniums/pelargoniums which featured a lot in my mother's garden. 

Those gaillardias haven't stopped flowering...

And I noticed the other day that my brunfelsia has  started flowering for the second time this year...must be the extra water from the storms...it has the most beautiful fragrance.

 The next photo is a bit blurry but it's my pentas shrub which is now covered in mauve flowers. It's a plant that is easy to grow but gets very stressed in hot, dry weather, so that extra rain has meant a happy plant covered in blossoms.

And lastly, the young family across the road have decorated the front of their house with some lovely Christmas lights. They look beautiful at night...


5 comments:

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Cats certainly find the best spot in the house. Lovely to see what is growing in your garden. I had gaillardia's in our previous garden. Don;t think I have seen them in plant places. Will have to look out for them next Autumn.
Enjoy the Mango's and the fresh vegies you are growing.

Happy Monday.
Bev.

Heirloom treasures said...

I've re followed you Maria. My your veggie patch is growing some lovely eggplants. I grew them one year too,I love them but the garden is too small for them,as they get so big. My Grandson has started a lovely veggie garden,so I'll give him some plants to grow for me. Your tree that has the lovely scent is beautiful. xx

Susan said...

How wonderful to have a mango tree. hope you get a lot of fruit - I go past a house that has 2 large trees and all the branches have big bags on them to protect the fruit.. looks ugly for now . . but I'm sure its worth it. I'm sure you garden looks & smells wonderful.

Noela said...

I have a few mango trees too Maria but because we don't water them except for the grey water and rain of course, they don't usually do that well but this year I have quite a few fruit on one tree. Hope they survive for us to get some.
Love the cat photo, my Oscar sounds just like Eduardo. He is sleeping behind me now on an old sheet on the floor. Love all your floral photos. Hugs......

Becky said...

I am so glad Mr Ed is doing so much better. Tesla cat has gotten past his sadness and depression over us loosing Nicholas but now has become this "in yo' face" cat that we don't recognize. LOL