Search This Blog

Thursday, November 21, 2013

What if...?

Ever since my friend Kath, drafted up some templates using long hexagons with the central squares on point, and gave me a copy in 2011, I've been stitching away every now and then on projects using them.
The first project I made using Kath's pattern was in the 2011 Red and White Kris Kringle Swap organised by Jodie over at the Haby Goddess. Sadly, my swap buddy never sent an acknowledgement of whether she even got my parcel...but I do hope that she did.

Table centre made with long hexies with squares
Then this year, I got that 'hexie bug' again and used long hexagons to make a cushion for a swap. This time I didn't put the squares on point as I used some fabric that had squares of the 'Keep Calm...' series.

And then a little while later I got those 'sewing notions' fabrics out again and made a pin cushion for another swap...


In September this year I started another long hexie project...a Christmas runner. I haven't finished this yet but it was sitting on my table 'taunting' me as it sat there languishing,unfinished and unloved even...

Then I started my 'what if..?' conversation with my self...
What if, I arranged the hexagons so they formed a type of border? What shape would I have left inside that border? What if I stitched a Christmas design on cream/off-white fabric for that 'middle bit'? What if I chose just the one main colour for those border hexies?

When I sorted out the answers to those questions and a few more logistical issues, I got started on this new project with a renewed enthusiasm...I handstitched over a few days and the project came together quite quickly...and yet my runner project had completely stalled... :-/
The stitchery design I chose is one from  Michelle of Rag Tag Stitchin'. I knew that I would never be able to make her latest design in time for Christmas this year (maybe next year?), but I could stitch just a couple of the designs and incorporate them into gifts this year instead.


And this is the completed project; a mini quilt that I gave to Tatyana on Sunday as I was her Secret Santa.


Plus some fabric bunting that I also love to make...especially when I cut out lots of triangles when I first came out of hospital and had to take it easy. lol


And some fabric iron on labels that Blogger insists must be uploaded with the photo on its side...



Next year I plan to start using my long hexagons in some different layouts. There are quite a few different layouts I can try and maybe some more 'What if?' projects to come as well! :-)

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Love those "Keep calm" squares. Lovely pillow. Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

I do like hearing about your sewing of hexagons. Especially love the cushion, the dark background really sets of the design. Maybe the swap partner will thank you now, she was probably overwhelmed by your present.

Happy days.
Bev.

Anthea said...

Wow! What you made for Tatyana is just gorgeous Maria, I love it!
And yes hexy's & paper piecing gets under your skin - so many 'what ifs' can happen with them! I am trying out some new shapes soon... x

angela said...

I love the keep calm squares. I'll have to try and source some. Your hexies look greqt

Cheryl said...

Such gorgeous projects you've sewn Maria

Anonymous said...

Maria you are so darn clever with a needle (sewing AND knitting) that you leave me in awe. How pretty are your Christmas projects. Love the cushion.

Lin said...

Love what you have done with your long hexagons. The Christmas mini quilt works really well. Do you know that Avril Colby, in her book from 1958, calls them Chruch Windows?

Vireya said...

That's a shape I haven't tried yet, but it looks fun to play with.

Tatkis said...

Such lovely and interesting projects - I'm so happy I'm the owner of 2 of them, and the bunting too!

Hugs,
Tatyana