Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Family celebrations After COVID-17 Lockdowns

So I’ve already written a post about 3 family birthdays we celebrated this year before COVID-19 changed so much. 
It was DsD2’s birthday in early April when no one was allowed visitors in their homes. Our son in law made a cake and the little family of 4 celebrated this event. 



It had been organised that the rest of the family would sing Happy Birthday to DsD via FaceTime from our respective homes. 
And then we were able to watch the candles blown out...


And then we watched the cake being cut and watched enviously as the slices were eaten...😀


In May it was my turn to celebrate a birthday. By then restrictions had eased a little and people could have 2 visitors to their home. DD1 and Carrie were the first to come on a visit to help me celebrate. It was on DD1’s day off, a week before my actual birthday. DD1 organised lunch from a local fish and chip shop, delivered by Uber. 

It was lovely spending time with them.
On the night before my birthday I had 2 surprise visitors...DH had known they were coming. Anthea and her mum had made me a cake and delivered it to me. 


Naturally we all had a slice there and then! It was a delicious carrot cake with yummy cream cheese icing.
 
That next night, DH organised a takeaway for 2 from my friend’s cafe...lasagne ( my friend’s mum’s recipe), salad and for dessert, tiramisu. So out came the candles and the fancy glasses...

At 7pm, the family came on Zoom, and sang Happy Birthday to me. Then we chatted for quite a while as they wanted to know what sort of a day I’d had. 

DsD3 had stopped by in the morning of my birthday to drop off a gift from 5 of the family...

Always a winner with me! 
The next day, DD2 and Holly came to celebrate my birthday, bringing morning tea and gifts...I was still being spoiled. 



DH’s birthday was at the end of May and restrictions had eased even more...by then you could have 5 visitors. So we had 2 sessions, half the family at each; a roast dinner on the Friday night and a takeaway on Saturday lunch time. ( we had 2 little girls at both sessions as their mum was working on the Saturday) 

DsD2 made a beautiful (and large) chocolate cake for the Friday night so on Saturday I just turned the cut part away from the camera and we had the candle on top for DH to blow out. 


So now we are in July and once again restrictions in my state have eased considerably more than in late May. We can now celebrate in clubs, pubs and restaurants and can have up to 100 at our home. DH says even our family isn’t that big! Lol 

Later in May on a week day when our local Bunnings tends to be quiet, I had fun spending my birthday gift card...




I wonder how we will celebrate the 2 family birthdays in September? 



2 comments:

Maria said...

Sew good you all managed to still enjoy celebrating all the birthdays and sing Happy Birthday on the day...
Nice trolley full of goodies from Bunnings....

Susan said...

Hopefully by then we can have a "normal" celebration . . .??? hopefully
you didn't waste anytime using your voucher.
and more birthday celebrating to go . . . .