Search This Blog

Friday, January 19, 2018

Time to hand some things on...

About 6 years ago, while looking through items stored, I came across a school uniform that I had worn during the last 2 years of high school. I don't honestly know how, or why I still had that dress! It had obviously been packed up for the few house moves I had done over the years.
 I am still in touch with a number of my former school friends and when I told them of 'my find' there was a lot of banter about my being a hoarder...but all those girls enjoyed acquainting themselves once again with that uniform that we had worn for those high school years. ( note that there was no attempt to actually wear this old dress! 😉😉😉)

It was suggested that I bring along the dress to a reunion and one of my friends offered to bring along a mannequin that we could dress it up in my old uniform...and pose for photos...

That year we posted some of these photos on our high school's Facebook page and drew lots of nostalgic comments. Many of my former students at our local primary school were also former students of my high school so comments came from different generations. One former student of mine who runs a business selling vintage household/decorating items, as well as vintage clothing, was particularly taken  with the fact that my old 1967-8 uniform was still around. This lady decorates her home with lots of vintage items and has a real appreciation of such things.
So during last year when I decided that although I was 'attached to the memories' of that dress, it was time to divest myself of it. I have lots of photos of it and that is enough.
And Darlene would be an appreciative and excellent caretaker of it, I was convinced. So I posted it to her in Maryborough. D wrote to me privately, and with my permission, wrote this post on her FB page...

So my choice of who to pass it on to, was the correct one.
Darlene posted some photos of herself WEARING the uniform. This is someone who was in Year 7 in the late 1970s and unlike my friends and I, she can fit into my uniform from my teenage years. 😉😉😉

The following photos have been posted on a blog post a few years ago but I thought I'd share them again...
Year 11 Swimming Carnival at the Valley Pool. That's me leaning on the rail in the stand and looking at the camera.

And this photo is our Grade 12 cohort of  3 classes...

So that's one less thing for the girls to throw out when I'm no longer here! Whenever that will be! 

8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How wonderful to have found someone to treasure your old dress. Knowing it has gone to such a good home must make you happy.

Jackie said...

Treasured memories, and passing them on. Your old uniform now has a new home where it will be appreciated. Way to go Maria.

God bless.

Nanna Chel said...

Love the hairstyles of that era, Maria. That brought back memories. We had a serge uniform for primary school and then a new uniform was brought in which we wore summer and winter and it was a buttoned up dress that we froze in during our really cold winters. I am so glad your uniform is in good hands.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What wonderful memories....all uniforms had pleats out poor mums ❤️❤️❤️

Maria said...

What a great idea to pass the uniform on to Darlene who will treasure it for many years to come...Nice photo of her wearing it.

angela said...

What a great discovery. Glad it’s gone on to someone who will cherish it
I don’t have my uniform anymore. Which is lucky as I don’t think I’d fit one leg in it now!
I was very thin back in the day lol

Susan said...

Hopefully a long time until you are no longer around... I still have my shirt from my year 12...somewhere - and my beret I think!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Good memories. And good to know when it is time to pass saved items on and to know someone that will honor them. A great idea to take the uniform to your reunion...absolutely genius. Great post Maria.
xx, Carol