Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A bit of a saga...

In one of my Wool on Sunday posts last year, I wrote about a knitting project ( a ripple stitch throw) that had been misplaced for a few years, and how I'd found it in a ziplock bag of yarns...😕
I had only knitted a few inches when I had put that project away and forgot about it.

Well I re-started the throw and when it was about 60cm long, I put it aside while I worked on other things.
Then, about 3 weeks ago I found out that my cousin Lucy, who already is battling Lymphoma had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and was facing a fairly large operation. I wanted to do something for her and after a 'lightbulb moment', I decided that that something would be to finish that chevron/ripple stitch throw and send that to Lucy. So began some feverish knitting and because of the  hot weather, quite a bit of cranking up the air con!

But I must digress slightly...
One night there was a big boxing match here in Australia ( in Adelaide) and DH organized the 'pay for view' of this match and invited 2 of his golf cronies over to watch with him. My plan to spend the evening in another room was scuttled when one of the cronies brought his wife along...so I sat in the lounge with everyone. It wasn't long before I just had to pick up my knitting...the chevron throw project, and I started knitting.


After a while I sensed that one of the golf cronies ( not the one who brought his wife along) was looking in my direction. Eventually I looked up and smiled at him. He had a really nostalgic look on his face and he said quite wistfully...'My mum and my late wife used to knit...' How sweet...obviously some lovely memories for him.

Anyway back to my story...I finished the throw for Lucy last Saturday.


After the photo shoot the throw was folded and tied with ribbon...
This photo actually shows the colours more accurately than the previous collage of pics

Then posted on Monday. And Australia Post won through...yep the parcel was safely delivered to the Sydney address this morning, and I received this photo...the rug with its beautiful new owner.


Please keep Lucy in your thoughts as she fights her way to better health. 💕💕

11 comments:

Una said...

What a great incentive that was to finish your blanket. I love the colours and mixed textures. I don't know much about the weather in Sydney. But I do know that as our warm weather approaches, your cold weather looms. It will come in very useful, I'm sure.

Denice Barker said...

What a wonderful journey for that lovely throw!

Jackie said...

What a lovely gift. It will be like you are giving her a hug every step of the way.

God bless.

busybusybeejay said...

I love that throw !Beautiful colours and lots of love in. It.Thinking positive thoughts about you all.Barbaraxxxx

Cynthia said...

The colors are just gorgeous and it looks so soft and comforting. Best wishes for returning health to your cousin.

angela said...

What a wonderful blanket. It's brought joy to so many already
Lost of prays and blessing sent your way and to all those you love

Kim said...

Lucy's throw is a vision in colour and pattern, Maria. Such a lovely photo of Lucy with your beautiful gift. What a lovely smile Lucy has...and how lovely of you to think of her and bring her so much joy. My thoughts and prayers are with Lucy in this difficult period of her life.

Maria said...

Great to have finished the beautiful chevron blanket. Lovely photo of your cousin and all the best for her good recovery.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The blanket is beautiful and it matches her couch! I know 1st hand how much cancer patients especially appreciate these special love gifts.
xx, Carol

Susan said...

I know that rug is gorgeous. All the best to Lucy. I'm sure she will get a lift from it.

margaret said...

Lucy looks so cosy under your beautiful blanket, thinking of her as she undergoes treatment and hope she will recover quickly and enjoy life once again