Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Wool on Sunday...



Tired of local  shops like Spotlight not having a good range of circular needles, I decided to look online. I've been finding that if the stores have the size needle that I want, they only have that size in a 40cm. That measurement is taken from the tip of one needle, along the cable and then to the tip of the second needle...not very long for someone who knits throws. 
I found a local seller on EBay but the only brand she seemed to be selling was Hiya Hiya. I had never used stainless steel needles before, but decided to give them a try. 
I found them very light compared to my usual aluminum circular needles, but that's certainly not a problem. The 'join' where the cable is attached to the needle is very smooth...unlike some circulars I've used. I love using these needles...they are so lovely and the yarn moves easily over the needle. 
To test my new needles, I naturally cast on a new throw...as you do. It's yet another 'chevron' 😉

Over the years I've toyed with the idea of buying the circular needle interchangeable sets. I guess because I use a limited range of needle sizes and often have a few projects on the go at once, all on 6.5mm needles, a set hasn't really appealed. 
And of course I'm linking with Rainbow Hare for Wool on Sunday. https://rainbowhare.com/2016/06/19/wool-on-sundays-113-halfway/

9 comments:

Mary said...

They are nice needles, aren't they? I've bought the same kind from eBay . So true what you say about the limited selection of circs period, let alone in the lengths we need. The hiyas are so sleek and slick. Your newest project is beautiful. I think I came here from an article Nana Chel wrote? I live in San Diego, CA and love reading you ladies' blogs from Down Under :)

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, I always pick mine up from the Op Shops and have quite a variety. The only problem is thst I haven't learned how to use circular needles yet :-) It is on my 'To Do' list though.

angela said...

Spotlight is getting pretty bad. Just full of crappy stuff that is cheap. Thank god for the internet I say. Blanket looks fabulous

margaret said...

good you have found a supplier these sound much better with the smoothness from needle part to cable. Shops complain that we shop on line but these days they do not leave much choice as they do not carry the stock we want. I have to go on line for perle cotton no one seems to stoock that these days

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Those needles sound perfect. There's nothing more annoying than a circular needle that catches at the join. And your throw is looking lovely. You've made a very good start on it. Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Craftandothercrazyplans said...

They sound fab, I get frustrated by needles with an uneven join as I always think it interfere with the tension and appearance of the stitches.

Craftandothercrazyplans said...

They sound fab, I get frustrated by needles with an uneven join as I always think it interfere with the tension and appearance of the stitches.

Carla said...

I really really like Hiya Hiya needles. Happy knitting!

Kim said...

I haven't heard of Hiya Hiya needles....must get me some. =) Your throw is looking beautiful!