Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Right place, right time??

In a Mothers Day raffle this year, I was lucky enough to win a Spotlight Gift Card for $25. 
(Spotlight is a large chain of stores that sell a large range of craft supplies,yarns, haberdashery, fabrics, party supplies, homewares, manchester items etc) 
I had no real plans of how I was going to spend it until a few weeks ago. I went to my local Spotlight store to get  a Sewline Glue Pen. The store had no glue pens but I noticed some interesting polar fleece. I took a photo with my phone and vowed to come back next day with my gift card to buy some.

And so I did. I also had a good look at the other fabrics in the same pile of rolls. I fell in love with 2 other ones as well. Now the signs said the polar fleece fabrics were 40% off marked price. Each of the 3 fabrics were a different price with the gorgeous 'polar bear' one being the most expensive at $18.99 a metre. The quandary...I didn't need the fabrics, I only wanted them. My $25 card would have to be supplemented if I bought some of each...undeterred, I took all 3 to the cutting counter and asked how much each would be with the discount of 40%. Even though each roll was marked with a different price, somehow the register worked out that ALL were $4 per metre. So....
I bought the end of the roll (just over 2m) of this one...from a distance it really does look like crocheted granny squares! 

2 metres of this one...I've always loved Noah's Ark !

And 2 metres of this lovely, soft and thick fleecy...
And all this came to $25.60...so it only cost me the extra 60 cents!!! 
So some baby blankets' sewing coming up! 
A case of being in the 'right place, at the right time'! 

13 comments:

Marilyn said...

Isn't it a good feeling when things work out so well that it seems meant to be. Love the look of the granny square one. Didn't see it at our local Spotlight though Italy have been there.

Denice Barker said...

Don't you love an unexpected bargain? Love the granny square one. Very inventive.

Lin said...

How satisfying! Great gifts Maria. xx

Mizumatte said...

lovely, I have just chrocheted soem granny squares and those look same as your fabric. take care Jaana

KERYN B said...

Don't you love it when you get an unexpected win..

angela said...

Love it when you get a windfall and then throw in some bargain hunting as well. Well done. Very pretty material there xxx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well done! The granny square one is amazing. I was actually trying to work out tge relevance of the crocheted rug with fabric lol! Fooled me!

doodles n daydreams said...

Oh, I love Spotlight and I'm not a crafter. They have so much great stuff. Great bargains for you too.

Diana

margaret said...

what a great buy you made such a bargain too. The crochet look one really does look like crochet and the polar bears are so cute. So enjoyed spotlight when I was out in Aus.

Susan said...

absolutely worth it. the noahs ark is really lovely.

Unknown said...

I love the polar bears. What a great bargain.

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Congrats on your win and bargain shopping, I love the one that looks like Granny Squares.

Happy days.
Bev.

Anthea said...

Bargains right there Maria, well done!
As one of my friends says "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!"