Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2015

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park...

Today we visited the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park here in Vancouver.

As part of our entry fee, we had a guided tour with an explanation of how the park came into being and the people who were important in its development. Here is our guide, Derek.

We also learned about the totems on display in the park...
Some totems were 'teaching tools' passing on cultural stories. Others gave geographical information to travellers and others indicated whether visitors were welcome in a community.


The bridge is 230 ft above the ground and sways as people walk across the 450 feet length. 
We noticed this sign near the bridge approach...


DsD3 and I walked it but DH decided to go back and check out the stores etc. but he did start the crossing!





There were a lot of people crossing...
Nik took some photos as we walked across...





Not a look of fear...just a look of determination! (I did hate the swaying)

On the other side of the bridge we did the treetops walkway as well...lots of step climbing that one!




We also found the Raptor Centre where a handler was...handling a hawk I guess!!!


Then back we went over the bridge to find DH. It was time for lunch so I went to look for a table while DH and DsD3 waited in line to buy food...and boy did they have to stand in that queue for ages!
I had the better deal, sitting at a table in the shade! :-)
After lunch DsD 3 and I also did the cliff walk which is a walkway built into the side of the cliff...
The walkway curves in a U shape and is even higher than the suspension bridge!
Nik was behind me all the way!  ( with her dad's camera)


Some parts of this walkway were mesh and thick Perspex but most of it was timber planking.

It was bolted to the cliff in a number of places with cables then holding up the walkway...
Looking down...
Getting near the end of the walkway...

So after all that walking we decided it was time to head off...

I guess I do look a bit 'pooped' sitting there waiting for DsD3 to come back with the car, lol!!!

The present bridge is the third one on this site; in case you're wondering how an 1889 bridge has stood the test of time. That first bridge was hemp ropes with thick wooden planks and there would have been no way I would have walked across! :-)

5 comments:

Vireya said...

The walkway and the bridge look amazing, but I don't know that I would have had the courage to walk on either of them!

Nanette said...

A wonderful day out....I think I might have been shopping with DH though lol Well done Maria to meet all those challenges.

Cynthia said...

You have such a pretty smile, Maria, and you are very brave! There is no way I could have done that. So I'm glad I got to see your photo Shoot!

creations.1 said...

oh my god - you walked on that bridge and on that walkway - there is no way I could have done that - I am happy to admire the views from a very SAFE distance!!! Stunning scenery and a tiring day for you!

Helen S said...

Outstandingly brave Maria😱😱😱