Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Chillingham...

This post nearly didn't 'happen'...well if I had written this post it would have been minus the few photos. In my previous post I wrote of the horror I felt when I discovered that the photos that I took on Sunday and Monday, seemed to have disappeared from the SD card. I resigned myself to the fact that these photos were gone...but then I got the staff at the Fuji shop in Byron Bay 'on the case' yesterday. Even though, when the contents of my SD card were displayed on the shop's computer, and none of those 2 days' worth of photos were anywhere to be seen, a mere 2 hours later, the missing photos were on a CD...what magic software I ask! lol.
So...on Sunday morning DH and I went to the Chillingham markets because it was the second Sunday of the month...we'd never heard of Chillingham before this...

  1. Chillingham is a small village approximately 14 km northwest of Murwillumbah in the Tweed Valley, New South Wales, Australia. The Rous River, a tributary of the Tweed River, flows through the town. Chillingham Post Office opened on 28 May 1923. Wikipedia
We wandered around the markets for a while but didn't stay long...we headed back along the road to the Chillingham General Store that we had noticed on the drive out of the town to the markets.


We ordered coffees and DH also ordered a piece of old fashioned date slice. While we were sipping our coffees I noticed a little bird sitting on the sign...

 A couple sitting on the other side of the veranda suggested we come and have a look from that side of the veranda...

What a surprise this vantage point gave!


A little swallows' nest with chicks. Both parent birds were taking turns to feed their babies...


And that's not all...on the front steps of this General Store were some plants for sale...hippeastrums for $8...DH groaned but I bought one any way! 


I would have liked to have bought another one, which was more of a pink with white stripes...but I wasn't pushing my luck so to speak. The plant is on the front porch of our rental at the moment and I have a small wine carton that the plant can sit in for the ride back to Brisbane...there is always a way to take plants home but men don't seem to see that! Lol

3 comments:

margaret said...

how good to see the swallows nest, where I lived before we had house martins that built their nests along the eves and here I have swifts that come back every year and nest in the roof space.

So lucky fiji sorted out your missing photos amazing they were able to retrieve them

Dorothy said...

What a treat to see those dear little swallows. I've never heard of Chillingham - even though I thought I was pretty familiar with that area. You learn something new every day eh? Your new plant is very pretty. You should have bought the other one and just put up with the consequences LOL !! xox

Sharm said...

Lovely little post and look forward to seeing a pic of the hippie strum once home lol