Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mini Quilt Swap; Embroidery Theme...

I signed up for this swap earlier this year which entails making 3 mini quilts for 3 different swap buddies. The embroidery themed one was the most recent with a posting date on or before June 30. For this mini, I was matched with Peg, who I happened to know, likes the colour red. So I had this idea for a redwork mini. A while ago I had stumbled across some redwork designs on Pinterest and naturally I 'pinned' them otherwise I know I would never be able to find those sites again! Lol. 
I decided to use the pansy design, so stitched away on this secret project. 
A friend offered me some lovely red pansy fabrics for the border but when I went to make the border, both of these fabrics had 'patterns' that were too large scale and would result in some rather cut off pansy clusters...so I went to my smallish stash of pansy fabrics. My collection seemed to be in the blue, mauve colour schemes but there was one fat quarter with small pansies and the colour red was featured...so I had found my border fabric...phew! 
So a day before posting was due I finished the little quilt. Cheryll, who is the organiser of this swap, had sent us all some quilt labels we could use and also printed coasters which would be sent with each mini. These coasters were personalised with our name, blog address and the theme of the swap. To my horror I saw written on the coaster that the mini should include stitched inspirational words on sewing, but it was too late for that...so Peg got a wordless mini quilt! But she was fine with that! :-)

The backing and binding fabric came from JoAnns in Monterey, so well travelled fabric! 

I forgot to take a photo of the coaster and a few extras that I slipped in the parcel...the pins and tailor's thimble came from the shop in the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry...a place I loved!! This is Peg's photo. (oh and a Beatles badge from Liverpool! )

Another great swap! Now I'm just waiting to see what the postie might be bringing me...

7 comments:

Simone Harding said...

Gorgeous mini for Peg.

Anonymous said...

its gorgeous Maria i can see why Peg loves it.xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I was so very fine with that Maria....I LOVED my mini and all the other goodies....the written words and verses you sent were perfect once again thank you so much....xx

retdairyqueen said...

Gorgeous mini Maria
Can see why Peg loved it

Unknown said...

You're so versatile Maria. Is there something you can't do. Always making something for somebody. You have a big heart. Sue x

Susan said...

Can't beat pansies (and they are "for thoughts")- I'm not surprised most of your pansy fabric is blue / purple - so is mine...I'm sure Peg loved all the well travelled additions too.

Marit Johanne said...

It is beautiful! And your embroidery is so well done!