Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012

A visit to 'Bellis'...

This weekend the garden of 'Gardening Australia' presenter, Jerry Coleby-Williams, was opened to the public. The garden is known as 'Bellis'. Jerry has designed a self sufficent, sustainable garden in the beachside suburb of Wynumn. Viewers of the garden show were able to see how Jerry turned an normal sized back garden into a huge and productive garden. It is open once a year but so far I've never ever got there. Several months back I noted the dates and vowed that this year I would get there...and we did!

Sweet potatoes growing on the verge

We had to stand in a smallish queue

waste water is treated on site and recycled

Looking across the garden beds at the back

Jerry answering questions; he is such a nice man

Some details about the garden

I'm standing near a clump of corn and behind me are the colourful Chinese spinach
Part of the lush front garden
At the side of the house were plant and seed sales. DH and I bought some seed potatoes of the variety 'Nicola'. So I'm looking forward to growing them and eating the resultant crop. It was an inspiration to walk around this garden and I can only guess at how many hours are spent looking after it.
Before we drove home, we went down to the seafront and drove several kilometres along the coastline. it was a glorious day.


I have only added a few photos to this post. There are more showing various parts of this amazingly productive garden  here .

3 comments:

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

Thanks for reminding me about this Open Day. I throughly enjoyed seeing the garden.

tylasnan said...

Wow Maria, what a treat! Thanks for sharing. I hope to get there myself one day.
Cheers, Karen near Gympie.

Becky said...

I love when gardeners open their gardens to the public to tour. I watch for these throughout the Spring and Summer. It looks like you had a wonderful day. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! from the USA