Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Looking back 12 months...

Twelve months ago, DH and I set off on our USA holiday; a holiday of a lifetime. Because we crossed the International Dateline, we ended up having two March 5s. We arrived early in the morning at LAX (which is enormous to a couple of Aussies from Brisbane), and got a shuttle bus to where we were staying at Santa Monica. As soon as we checked in, we went in the hotel's courtesy bus downtown to explore.





Remember how I was fascinated with the store in Santa Monica that had the windows full of old sewing machines? here :-)



It was a lovely warm day and we walked down to the famous Santa Monica Pier. What a beach! It was so wide; and how busy was the funfair on the pier?





I was captivated by this old carousel/merry go round


We visited the Information Kiosk as that was where an elderly cousin of DH's mother, Thelma, had worked as a volunteer for many years.

The information booth and the Route 66 sign showing the other end of the famous road system




Sadly she died a matter of weeks before we arrived; she was 97! It was lovely to see that there is now an award in her name for outstanding employees in the tourism industry of Santa Monica.

So where has this past year gone? It doesn't feel like it all happened 12 months ago! lol

4 comments:

Lea White said...

It looks like you had a great trip! That is a lot of sewing machines!!! How sad that she passed away just before you got there!

Becky said...

Time certainly waits for no man. I remember as a child my Grandma saying, "Stop wishing your life away - you'll regret it later" when I would lament over how quickly I wished for High School Graduation. When I hit about 30 I finally realized what she meant by that.

Claud said...

I can't believe it's been a year either. I remember reading all your nice posts about your trip.

fabriquefantastique said...

Have to comment as we have just had two March 3rd, spending 2 days in Sab Francisco en route to Canada from NZ.