Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Make-Grow-Thrift

Today, being Monday, I'm again joining in this feature on Jodie's blog. This week I again made something.
But first let me give you some background to this post. When I retired I joined a few groups where I could indulge my crafting passions. One group I joined was the K4BN group who knit and crochet items for the needy in the community. The first weekend of every month we have a challenge which runs from 7pm Friday night until 7pm Sunday. The idea of these challenges is to build up stocks of items that are needed in the community or to focus on a particular group that we can help. The February challenge gave us a lot of variety in our choices.

One choice was that we  could make items for Downs and west Community Support which  distributes hampers to needy women and their families especially  in remote areas. The same group may also assist families with paying power and phone bills and always take 'women's things' to make them feel better in troubling times. They also have pampering days where the women come in and have time with massage, hand and foot, hairdressing days and just that good social get together that can often be overlooked.

Knowing that in a few months it will be cold in these centres, I made some scarves in some novelty yarns...I finished 2 and have another on the needles. Requests for tissue box covers, crocheted edged washers and covered coathangers were also on the suggested list...so...In maybe a 'thrift' mode, I'm also donating some covered coathangers with a matching soap holder that I won in a raffle. I'd planned to put them in a 'Lifeline' Charity Bin but will  include them with my scarves.





Another choice of what could make were for knitted/crocheted toys...always in demand apparently but I wasn't able to find time on the weekend...but one day soon...you just never know what I might create! lol

3 comments:

Humble wife said...

I think the system of charity and service being a choice is the best way.

I love this and love the scarves. Thank you so much for giving of yourself and your talents as I know they are greatly appreciated~even if you are never told.

Have a lovely week!

Jennifer

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

What a lovely way to spend your week Maria. I'm sure your scarves will be loved by whoever received them.
Thank you for sharing and playing along

Lea White said...

The scarves are beautiful!