Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Christmas in July...

At the end of last year I joined a club (The Possum Club) at a local patchwork shop as part of my retirement plan. So far I haven't signed up for any classes but I did put my name down for the shop's famous 'Christmas in July' function. People from overseas must wonder about this phenomenon here in Australia where Christmas is celebrated both in December and July???? It's a relatively recent thing though and started because Aussies have the official Christmas season in summer...not very conducive to those traditions of hot food and mulled wine for example. Restaurants, hotels and wineries run C.I.J. functions and various  groups such as fundraisers, and others such as my local patchwork shop!


The stitchery kit I chose...





The lady on the right also goes to the Knit and Natter sessions at Grovely


My Secret Santa gift...
As we arrived at the shop yesterday we were able to choose from a selection of stitchery kits which we then stitched during the afternoon. After about half an hour, coffee, tea, fruit punch and masses of gorgeous food was served. So for the next hour we 'grazed' on the delicious food, chatted and also stitched...what a lovely way to spend a chilly afternoon. But that's not all! We also had 'Secret Santa' and I got a lovely little Christmas set of a bowl and small plate. I didn't see who got the gift I took...it was a little Amish pin cushion/ needle holder/sorter that I bought in Intercourse, PA.

No comments: