Today, being Friday, means I'm joining in the feature on Rhonda's Down to earth blog.
On my mind today is the Challenge which the Knitting for Brisbane's Needy group have the first weekend of the month. This month is making squares. When the challenge was first posted it wasn't clear whether squares knitted on the diagonal would be acceptable, so I practised working out how many stitches would be needed to make the size which had been decided. The challenge was to use 8 ply yarn and to make crocheted or knitted squares no smaller than 6 inches and no larger than 6 1/2 inches. After a couple of goes I got it right...and then it was posted that they could be knitted on the diagonal as well :-).
Now we don't have to sew them up...after the weekend we post them to another member in Waterford West who has volunteered to sew them into blankets. The goal for the challenge is enough squares to make 10 rugs...I guess we'll just have to see how we go. I've made 5 squares already while I was testing out number of stitches etc...and I think many other members have done the same lol!
In the meantime I'm still sewing squares that have been previously donated to the charity, into blankets. Number 2 blanket is getting close to completion. (It's not part of the challenge though)