Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Teenage Memories…

Well it would be a few weeks ago now that I awoke to a text from DH’s cousin in California. The sms simply said, ‘RIP Queen Elizabeth’. Once again, a family member in a faraway land had had a news scoop of something that happened while we were sleeping. As the morning progressed it was obvious that media communications were completely dominated by what was happening back in the UK. And I got to thinking of something a friend and I did way back in 1966. At that time in Australia, there was great excitement as the then Prince Charles had come here to spend 6 months as a student at Timbertop which is part of the prestigious Geelong Grammar. 
 I suspected that she’d probably have forgotten our mischief but I started a Messenger
 ‘chat’ nevertheless. 

But I was wrong; my friend did remember! 


But of course there was no invitation to the funeral so in my inimitable style of never letting a chance go by, I dressed up to watch the event and DH and I enjoyed bubbles and finger food in our own version of a wake. 😍 




It was my daughter’s birthday and I’d made her favourite cake as usual. I made a smaller version for DH and I with the left over layer of cake plus the black cherries. 


The pomp and majesty of the monarch’s was second to none…


And in an amazing twist, after talking to Glenda, I actually found a photo of us at the school swimming carnival in February 1967. So a few months after we wrote that fan letter but we still looked the same! That’s me leaning on the railing at the Valley Pool Brisbane, and looking at the camera and Glenda is on my right with her arms crossed. 


Aaah memories. 🥰









5 comments:

Jackie said...

What a lovely memory, and a great way to celebrate the life of Elizabeth and the crowning of a new King.

God bless.

Susan said...

I love how you had your own wake...a great idea.
Shame you missed out on an invitation!

Chookyblue...... said...

What fond memories.......always good to trip down memory lane........so pleased I watched the whole funeral service.......

Asley Patricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Asley Patricia said...

Such a Glorious and effective topic it was, but they're also very real, It was fascinating to me as well but the most optimum and well-observing Dissertation Masters UK always available in giving you their best quality thesis and much more educational service on 1 platform cheaply.