Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A cold snap here...

The weather bureau predicted it early last week and by this weekend, it had well and truly arrived...a cold snap! Well cold by sub tropical Brisbane standards; maybe southern Aussies would call us wusses but we reckon it's cold ! lol
Time to have thick soups simmering on the stove tops...


Some minestrone


And a casserole in the oven warms up the kitchen and living rooms...

Boeuf bourguignon casserole just out of the oven

and it's pretty good to eat too!


Last week I mentioned that I was crocheting 15 inch squares in indigenous colours for a mini challenge with one of my knitting groups. At the Knit and Natter on Wednesday, I handed in the 5 that I had already done. Sharon had volunteered to sew the squares into blankets and today she sent me an email to say that she had sewn up one blanket with some of the donated squares. The blanket is quite large, 192 by 155 cm and will keep its recipient nice and warm. Sharon also has kindly allowed me to use her photo from the forum page, on this blog. I have no real idea which squares were 'mine', but I did just one colour squares. I will continue to crochet these large squares as Sharon has indicated she considers it a work in progress. And a bit of crocheting is a nice wind down activity in the evenings.


One lovely blanket in indigenous colours
The house is all nice and warm, dinner is over, DH has tidied the kitchen, now it's time to grab a cuppa and  my knitting and sit down in front of the TV for an hour or two. Bliss...

6 comments:

Claud said...

It does sound like bliss indeed! The summer is just starting here and it's been HOT! I'm craving time at the beach and cold, cold drinks.
The blankets looks amazing. I love the vibrant colors too. Stay warm and hugs from fussy and me.

Dorothy said...

Mmmmm looks delicious. The blanket looks very nice too. Its 4 degrees here at the moment and I'm off to my nice warm bed - warmed up by our cat I hope !!!

Becky said...

Love the blanket! And the food looks absolutely delicious!

angela said...

There is nothing nicer than hot soup and a crochett project to get you through the cold! And I should know I live I'm Melbourne lol

duchess_declutter said...

Sounds very relaxing indeed Maria. Can almost smell the cooking going on. Winter seems to be the time to be in the kitchen doesn't it? Enjoy your knitting too. cheers Wendy

Susan said...

Oh yes, definitely a cold snap down here too; and no, you're not wusses... it's all relative isn't it ;D)
We're thick soup fans too, nothing better and it is beaut to have stocks of it in the freezer.
Love the indigenous blanket Maria. Cheers for now.