Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

If only he could talk...

If you have dropped by for the Grow Your Own Blog Party, you'll find that post here...

But this post is about the recent misadventures of Master Eduardo, our cat. Last week this little fellow went missing for 36 hours or so. He was originally my DD2's cat but circumstances have seen him living with DH and I for the last 12 years. And of course, we have become very fond of him and consider him our cat!

Monday of last week, my neighbour noticed Eduardo walking through the yard of a house in the next street back from us...quite out of character for this little homebody. But I was at work (just a temporary job in the run up to the state election) so he might have thought that it was just the right time to go exploring...except he didn't come home that night...and he wasn't meowing at the door, the next morning. We had walked around that evening looking for him and calling out his name
:-/ , but with no success.

On the Tuesday morning I headed off to the office with a 'heavy heart' thinking the worst had happened...I was the first home from work that afternoon...and still no Eduardo. But just as I started dinner preparations, I heard him meowing...he was home...very dirty and dishevelled...and very, very jumpy! He didn't appear to have any wounds thank goodness. So he wolfed down some food, and then jumped up on his favourite chair and proceeded to clean his fur. I was so relieved that he was home safe and sound. 
His first meal in 36 hours....

Whatever had happened to him , he had become very nervous and timid, jumping at the slightest sounds. We had a rainy day last week and I put an old towel down on the floor in the doorway to protect the floor...this scared him...he wanted to come inside but this green 'monster' had him bluffed.

Those 'lumps' and creases in the towel had him flummoxed! 

But as the week went on he has relaxed a bit, but he sure doesn't want to go outside...
Neck scratches and ear tickles are good...

He's even not really happy about going out on to the veranda, which has been a favourite spot for years. I've been taking him out into the garden, but staying close to him. So our thoughtful neighbour, Judy, brought across an 'indoor loo' for him to use while we're at work.



A few years ago a friendly tabby cat called Lewis moved into a townhouse a few doors from our back gate. But Lewis is a bully boy in spite of his cuteness...and he steals Eddie's food if we are not vigilant and he also fights with Eddie, as my boy tries to defend his territory... Lewis comes, not only into our yard, but up on to our veranda, and even into the house! 

Lewis, Eduardo's nemesis...waiting at our side door, hoping to be let in so he can steal food...

So we don't know if Lewis is involved in this latest misadventure or whether it's something else completely different. Ed may have got locked in somewhere...and that would have been a scary experience for sure.

So, if only he could talk...? But then again if he could talk, it would be non stop, 'When's dinner, I'm hungry?', lol

So glad we have him back with us! 

15 comments:

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad Eduardo is home safe & sound. Hugs,xx

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Now if only he was Ed the talking horse. A few cuddles each day and he will be back to normal.

Happy days.
Bev.

Susan said...

I'm glad for you too that he's back...we keep our cat inside all the time - at least we don't have to worry about "the worst" happening. Poor little baby - give him a tickle for me ....

Christine M said...

Poor little Eduardo. Perhaps he got stuck in somewhere. After not eating for a while he may have lost some weight and could get himself out. Many years ago, our Jack Russell went missing for about 2 weeks. When she did come home she was as skinny as a rake. We think she chased a rabbit down a hole and couldn't get out. Once she lost the weight she got herself out.

Mizumatte said...

so gla he is homa and safe, I know too well the feeling 'catmissing'. I have a indoors loo for my ladies even they go outside if it isn't too cold. take care Jaana

Claud said...

Oh silly boy...but so glad he's home and safe again. I would go crazy if my CC gets out and is gone for that long. And that mean neighbor kitty better leave Eduardo alone otherwise CC and I will have to make a trip around the world to come have a word with him and his owner ;-)

Lin said...

Glad Eduardo is safe - I expect he will get over his fear eventually, lets hope so. xx

Cynthia said...

Poor guy! I hope he gets over it soon and can at least enjoy his veranda. As for that bully Louis ... well, I think there is one in every neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

So pleased the wonderer has returned.
Traumatic for you and Eduardo.

Sue (this n that) said...

Yay... so glad Eduardo has come home. That was a worrying time.
It's a shame he's still so nervous but he knows he's safe with you and it'll pass in time, especially with all the extra hugs and love he's enjoying.
Beautiful photos Maria :D)

Bette said...

So Glad Eduardo made it home safely. My Squeaker is strictly an indoor cat. I'm not sure what she would do if she ever got out. Give him lots of hugs from Squeaker and me.

Vireya said...

It would be great if our animal friends could tell us what was going on. I have a few questions I'd like both my dogs to answer!

Dorothy said...

Poor Eduardo - I wonder where he went? Great that he's back home - bet you were frantic. I would have been!! Hope he gets used to the litter tray as being an inside cat will be much safer for him now. We use Catsan for Madison and although its not the cheapest, it doesn't need to be changed as often. The white crystals absorb liquid and we just scoop out the poop and dispose of it. Had to laugh about your comment re if he could talk. I think they must all think the same way. xox

sewyouquilt2 said...

glad he is back safe and sound. if only they could tell us of their adventures.

liniecat said...

He's probably managed to get locked in a shed or garage bless him. Have a squirty water bottle handy and squirt Lewis the bully interloper liberally with it when he gets too close!
A super soaker childrens water pistol thing if all else fails LOL