Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

It's finished!

Yep! I finally finished the bunting that I was making for my great niece Lucy's 3rd birthday. It was duly wrapped up and posted off this afternoon, so that it can be used on the actual day, which is Valentine's Day.
There are lots of tutorials on the internet for making bunting, but I used one found on Grace Designs' blog. I didn't put the letters 4.5 cm apart as the pattern suggested; I made them a little closer together and had about 10 cm between words.

 I used a remnant of cream coloured sheeting for the front of the flags, and I hand stitched on the letters...


This photo was taken the other day. By yesterday each letter was decorated with a novelty button...
I used this colourful fabric for the backing of each flag and also used it to cut the strips to sew each flag to...I bought the fabric about 11 years ago, so that's not too long in the stash...it was perfect for this project though :-)
Not the best way to display it! But you can get an idea of what the overall effect is.
I used the 2nd option suggested in the tute...I placed the flag and backing, wrong sides together, stitched  around the edges, about 7mm from the edge...then used the pinking shears.
I traced the letters from Creative Memories lettering stencils, but some look a bit outlandish to me. But they were a good starting point and when I use them again, I may adapt one or two.

I wrapped up the bunting, tied it up with some pretty ribbon and wired a beaded dragonfly on to the ribbon. Lucy's middle name is the German word for dragonfly...Libelle. Then I forgot to take a photo :-( Darn!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so cute Maria and looks fantastic hanging up,well done.xx

Vireya said...

Very cute! A present she can use every year, too.

Anonymous said...

This is very pretty Maria, and a lovely gift.

Becky said...

What a wonderful idea and I'm sure that they will use it for many years.

Maria said...

Fabulous present Grandma.