Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Offspring...

Some people joke that they had children so they had someone to care for them in old age...I think that I had children so they could help me with 'technology' ! lol
The recent computer crash made iTunes disappear and I hadn't been successful at downloading it again, so DD1 came over to help this morning. The program was successfully installed under her supervision but then we found that the re installation was classed as a new account and I was unable to add new songs to the library...well I could, but it would mean 'restoring factory settings' which would delete all my music. Now the earlier computer crash meant I no longer had the mp3 files on the computer (DD1 did look as well) . DD1 confirmed something I had read a while back...you can't copy your mp3 files on your iPod to your computer.

Now CDs from our collection  that I had copied to the iPod weren't a problem; I could just copy them again. The problem was the $60 worth of albums that I had purchased from iTunes using a gift card. Things looked grim...then my clever DD1 remembered a program called 'Touch Copy' and she downloaded a demonstration. This program will allow you to copy files from a device to a PC. and from there you can reload them back to devices such as my iPod. The free demonstration download only allowed for 100 songs to be copied and I had just under 300...so I bought the 'proper' program rather than mucking about working out which ones had been paid for. So my files were copied, the iPod restored to factory settings and then reloaded with my music...and I bought 'The Best of Billy Thorpe' album with some of my iTunes' credit to celebrate! 
And then DD1 also worked on the problem I've been having with the Fuji FinePix program which I use to upload pics from my camera...so I certainly kept her busy! Before DD1 went home we went for a 'rummage' under the house as I knew DH and I had some outdoor setting chairs stored there. My daughter has just moved into a new rental house and had wanted some outdoor furniture. We had given her an old wooden outdoor table on moving day but she still needed chairs...and today she went home with 4. And a bit more space has been cleared in the area under the house!!!

Talking of clearing things out...yesterday I was looking for a knitting book that I bought a few years ago and I was checking in drawers, shelves, storage bins and cupboards. Now I haven't found the book yet but I've tossed out lots of 'rubbish' and I found some framed photos which I hadn't seen for a while. One photo was taken by a photographer in 1986. My mother won a voucher for a family portrait and this is one of the many other photos taken that day that we bought (as you do). I decided to scan it and put it on FB for my daughters and friends to see. It's always been a favourite photo of mine.


Taken in 1986 I think. The photographer's had moved into a new studio and it wasn't quite ready so he asked us to meet him in the nearby Newstead Park. I remember I wasn't terribly impressed, especially sitting on the ground! lol
 When I undid the back of the frame, I then took out the backing cardboard from behind the photo...only it wasn't cardboard...it was actually another photo. What a surprise! I had obviously recycled the frame but left the old photo in it. This photo was taken at the end of year Ball at my teachers' college in 1969. I went with some friends who were graduating that year; it was the end of my first year and would have been 18. What a trip down memory lane...

A budget occasion...I had worn the dress for my first ball earlier in the year; pink dress, white gloves, silver shoes and bag. Did my own hair by pinning a hairpiece of curls to the back.  


6 comments:

Dorothy said...

Ah sweet memories. Glad you got your it problems sorted out.

kaiteM said...

Beautiful studio photo even if outside on the ground. Actually probably better in the natural environment. Looks just like you!!

Naturally Carol said...

My children are very handy at sorting out my tech problems too. I'm not sure how they'd look after me in my old age though, I think they've given me more grey hairs than anything!

twinpeakprimitives said...

Lovely photos, sweet memories :))

duchess_declutter said...

Yes they come in handy don't they! Sad though we just just hand over a program to DS and expect him just to work it out for us. That will have to stop I think! When he leaves home (and he will) we're going to have to be techsavvy somehow! Glad you got your problems sorted. Great photos - and isn't it a plus when you find an old forgotten-about phone! cheers Wendy

Susan said...

What a relief for you to have someone fix up your computer problems. Glad all is well, especially recovering your iTunes!
Beautiful photos Maria, simply beautiful :D)