Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

(B+B+B) ÷ 30 = 7

You are probably thinking I've 'lost the plot' a bit judging by the subject of this post?? But all will be explained!
Another way of writing the subject could be; The sum of the squares in the box, basket and bag, grouped into piles of 30 and joined together, equals 7 blankets for K4BN. (These days I use double crochet to join squares together as it's quicker than sewing them like I used to)
I started this 'joining squares marathon' a week ago and last night finished weaving all the ends in. This morning, for a bit of fun, I 'yarn bombed' our lounge with the blankets...


The squares came from a variety of people; some donors I know, others were just handed into K4BN. Susan W your squares are in 2 of the blankets, Helen S there are heaps of the ones you collected for me in these, and Glenda from Sisters of Stitch, your lovely crocheted squares have made up into 3 blankets. Susan D, there are many of your granny squares used in these blankets, although I added some crocheted rounds to them to make them the same size as all the others.

For a while now, Jennifer, who comes to the Grovely Knit and Natter, has at various times handed me a pile of squares that she has made for the group. Jennifer tries out various interesting patterns and these squares look so effective as feature squares. I made a collage of just a few of the squares made by Jennifer...

These squares need to be surrounded by the lovely garter stitch squares that people regularly knit for the group; we are so fortunate to have donors who happily knit squares for us.

I combine both crocheted and knitted squares...no discrimination here! lol



When I joined the squares I had on hand here into the 7 blankets, I was left with 3 squares, so my joining ended. Then this morning I heard my cat Eduardo meowing a welcome  to someone on the veranda...as luck would have it...it was Christine W, another member of K4BN, who happens to be a prolific crocheter. Christine had some baby rugs to hand over to the group, plus 2 bags containing 74 squares. Christine's squares always have the ends neatened and are always the same size...so...74 ÷ 30 = 2 blankets with 14 left over plus the 3 left over from the joinings this week. Unlucky for some but I will be thrilled to find that 13! lol

Christine's lovely crocheted baby rug plus bags of squares...


(You know how they say that you learn something new every day? Well thanks to Google, this morning I found out how to get the division sign on a PC keyboard; hold down the Alt key and using the number pad on the righthand side of the keyboard and type 246. As if by magic, when you release the Alt key, the division sign appears. I did not know that! lol)

5 comments:

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Just love that first photo.

Have a lovely weekend.

Happy days.
Bev.

Susan said...

Your lounge looks great!!
I have one more square so you only need 12 now . . .

Susan said...

PS you can do a lot with that old Alt key - all the french accents etc . . .

Mizumatte said...

oohhh, what a lovely jobb you all do, I knit socks for homeless people, but just now it' s too hot. I really admire you for all charity work you do. lovely days to you all.Jaana

Unknown said...

Well done and congrats on crocheting so many squares together...Love all the pics someone is going to be lovely and warm :)) thanks for sharing.. :))