Search This Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2014

And it was free too!

Years ago when I worked part time, I used to attend the free lunchtime concerts in the Brisbane City Hall. A little while ago, I realised that I have been retired for 3 years and although I have had time to go to these concerts, I had not been to one!
So I have been checking the program online and have been to 3 in the last month or so...
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Beatles tour of Australia there was a concert by a local Beatles' tribute band, the Beatlegs.
( Excuse the poor quality of the photos...used my phone)
 The MC introduced the concert...

No photos till after the concert...that's the rule!


Here's a photo from the Beatlegs website. A friend told me that her cousin Paul (real name) , plays Paul in the group...he is right handed but plays the bass guitar left handed just like the 'real' Paul.


Another concert I went to, featured a terrific percussion group called Percussimo.


 Then there was the Elton John tribute concert featuring local entertainer, Greg Andrew...another enjoyable concert!



 Greg really did sound like Sir Elton...both in voice and piano playing


Brisbane City Council also sponsors author talks at local libraries...and these talks are also entertaining and free! DH has read and enjoyed 2 books by local author Matthew Condon, so we went along to Ashgrove library one evening to attend his talk. Matthew has been writing books about the 'corruption in high places' involving police and politicians...and he also focusses on the fact that many honest police officers and their families had their careers and lives ruined by the 'bad apples'...his books are allowing them to have a voice.

Matthew's book Jacks and Jokers which is a sequel to Three Crooked Kings

The hour and half went too quickly...he is an extremely interesting man.


So that's just a small part of the free entertainment provided by the Brisbane City Council...now I have a friend who loves the council's GOLD Program...(Growing Old and Living Dangerously)...but would I have time? lol

3 comments:

Susan said...

ALl these things are around and a lot of us don't realise - the Beatles one would have been a lot of fun - they dressed so well..

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria
It's great to have these concerts in Brisbane. I've been to a few and enjoyed them.
Brisbane City Council's GOLD program you mentioned also has some great workshops going. Most, if not all, are free. A great opportunity to learn new skills (and have some fun.)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

They all sound amazing! The Beatlegs dressed up nicely too! I am so glad you were able to attend them.

-Soma