Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

My new pukeko...

In late January this year my part of Queensland experienced a weekend of wild weather. DH and I were extremely fortunate in having no real damage from the high winds...a branch or two down and my pukeko statue which sat in a pot plant, got blown away and smashed. A pukeko is a New Zealand bird and a few years ago now whilst on a holiday to the North Island of NZ, I had decided to buy the little statue because I really liked these birds.
Poor pukeko...now in pieces after the fall...

My SIL found out that I was looking for a new pukeko and she and my BIL bought me one for my recent birthday. Mary found this one at the Christchurch Museum store and I think it is particularly lovely. The label around my statue/ornament states that it is 'The Original Kevin Kilsby Pukeko'. My new bird has 2 orange aluminium sticks that are placed in holes underneath the statue and then these are pushed into the ground... voila! orange legs!!

Here's the new one standing in the potted aspidistra plant; doesn't he look happy to be there! 

6 comments:

Noela said...

He is very cute and colourful. I'm sure he will love living in Queensland. Hugs.....

Marilyn said...

So pleased you could replace yours with such a beautiful one.

Susan said...

I hope this one stays safe & sound. He's quite cute.

Maria said...

Your new Pukeko is gorgeous.. Hope he stays standing if you get anymore big blows.

Vireya said...

What a happy bird!

Claud said...

I luv Pukekos too! I bought me a pair of socks n a bamboo wind chime with a beautiful Pukeko on top when I was in NZ. Yours is gorgeous!