Search This Blog

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Three birthdays and a Hens' Night!

Yep! The hectic social life of late, has continued 😉
Last Monday I dropped into the Caboolture Sports Club to surprise a friend who thought she was celebrating her 80th birthday with just her husband. He of course, organized for a few of her friends to join them. Claire is what I describe as a 'knitting friend' as I met her at K4BN Knit and Natters and over the years we've become good friends.


Then on the following Thursday, a group of family and friends met for lunch to celebrate the 70th birthday of DH's older brother.


Then on Friday night, family gathered at our place to celebrate DsD2's birthday!
Despite being the birthday girl, DsD2 made the birthday cake. It was pretty special with a big blue flower on top made with white chocolate, dyed with food colouring. DsD2 is making her sister's wedding cake so she is taking every opportunity to practise ideas and techniques beforehand. DH and I have our birthdays next month and she has asked us if she can make our cakes...we did say 'Yes please'!


And as if all these celebrations weren't enough, last night (Saturday) was DsD1's Hens' Night. Times have certainly changed since I was a bride the first time in the early 1970s. The young women these days plan some pretty interesting/exotic/exciting events for their Hen's Nights. DsD1's best friend organised the night, taking into account Meg's absolute love of the Moulin Rouge movie. So that's why a 2 hour Burlesque workshop was organised. We had all been sworn to secrecy so it was a BIG surprise for DSD1 when we went to a studio in the Metro Arts centre in the city. 😆


So feather boas and long gloves were the order of the night, all provided by the teacher.




And then the lesson started.


Dear readers, I wish I could say I 'lasted' the whole 2 hours...alas, when we got to the part where we learned the 'shimmy', I might have been a bit too vigorous because my lower back developed an ache.   And I must also mention that the older I get, the more uncoordinated ( or unco as the young say) I've become in dancing. Sad...right? 😆😆


Then I noticed a friend of Meg's sitting down...this lady is older than me as she had told me she graduated from teachers college in 1962 and I graduated in 1970. So I took a chair and sat beside her. Joy suggested that we say we are the judges of the dancers. Ha ha! I got away with 'being a bit of a piker' by not completing the class as DSD1 thanked me for keeping Joy company!!  We had a lovely time chatting too.

My stepdaughter and her friends ( and her sisters and mum) had a wonderful time and after the lesson, they headed off to a nightclub...my SiL and I went home...our choice though!


I must mention that when we arrived at the Metro Arts Centre, we were all taken aback to find that the elderly lift (elevator) in this heritage listed building, wasn't working. The studio was on level 4 🙁. I'm pleased to say that we all made it up the stairs. I took a photo from Level 4 as we were leaving.














7 comments:

Jackie said...

Looks as if everyone had a wonderful time at the Hen Night. Hey the older I get the less coordinated I am as well. Quite frankly sometimes I feel as if I am starting to move like Elaine on Friends.

God bless.

Chookyblue...... said...

Everything is just so much grander for the young ones now.......

Sharm said...

Sounds like such a fun time and something different she will remember!

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a busy time you've had...of the best kind! Love the hen party theme. I think you will need some R and R now xxx

angela said...

Looks like a fun night. I have to admit I'd be like you and pike it
I'm just getting to long in the tooth for hens nights.

margaret said...

you certain;y had lots pf celebrations these past days. The hen party looks such fun but think I would be a spectator

creations.1 said...

Yoiu would be all partied out - fun times all around!