Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Ghan

Its Easter Day and DH and I are in Adelaide. Just after lunch we board the Ghan train and head off on  a journey from the southern part of this continent, to the north; right through the centre of Australia. This train is named in honour of those wonderful immigrants who came here in the 1800s (with camels) to build the Overland Telegraph Communciations system which linked Australia with countries in the northern hemisphere. These Afghani men were able to handle working in the desert conditions so well...but it was a hard life. Many descendants of these men still live in Australia, very proud of their heritage too, I imagine. And Australia has lots of descendants of those early camels too! 😊 


I will eventually write all about our adventures in blogposts. We've done a fair bit of sightseeing here in Adelaide and will also do the same at our destination, Darwin. 
We've watched a few YouTube videos of the Ghan train journey and it looks like we will be seeing lots of different countryside...but in very comfortable conditions. 
See you soon, with lots of photos! 😆

16 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

a great train journey of the world.......enjoy.........

Michelle Ridgway said...

Have a wonderful trip...very jealous here! Happy Easter to you and Bruce Maria xx

margaret said...

sounds like you are about to start a great journey have an amazing trip

Vireya said...

Fantastic! Have a great time, and I'll enjoy the photos when you get the chance.

Nanna Chel said...

Have a wonderful trip, Maria. You will have some good stories to tell when you get home.

angela said...

This is kinda on my bucket list. But as we are about to go up north again via the road I wonder if it's worth it
I'll eagerly await your posts to help me decide
Have a safe trip

biebkriebels said...

Wish you a nice trip. I made the journey by bus the other way around. The train was not yet there in 2004!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

What a fun excursion! I look forward to your posts sharing your journey. Be safe.
xx, Carol

Denice Barker said...

That trip is my dream so enjoy it for me!

Fiona said...

How fantastic....
Hugz

Dorothy said...

Have a wonderful time Maria and I'll look forward to hearing all about it. Have often thought about doing that trip but it wouldn't be much fun alone.

R's Rue said...

Great.

Sue (this n that) said...

How exciting! That's a train trip I've often thought of as being wonderful way of seeing that part of our spectacular country. Looking forward to your photos (heh heh, don't hold back on the foodies ones either ;D)) Have loads of fun :D)

Kaisievic said...

Oh my goodness, I am so envious - I would love to do that trip. Wishing you a fabulous time - enjoy!

Jackie said...

Enjoy your trip. Rail travel is lovely.

God bless.

Anjiedot said...

looks like its going to be a fab trip, look forward to seeing the pics.