Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Last Saturday...

Last Saturday I went to my high school reunion. It was just for my year level, not a whole of school one. I spent a large part of the morning getting ready...a girl has to look as good as possible when attending a school reunion :-)
Unlike many of my former classmates, who came from other states, or even from overseas, I just had a short drive to the venue. It was a wonderful 4 hours, with the time just flying by as we reminisced, laughed, joked and chattered. We have been having a reunion for a few years now and the number of attendees is growing. There were some 'new ' faces this year...each year we gradually find more of the 200 Grade 8s that our cohort numbered.
Conversations stopped when my friend Alison arrived pushing a shopping trolley...

 Hmmmm...lol!


 Pretty soon, with a bit of help, the mannequin was assembled and dressed in my old school uniform...
Somehow or other this uniform hadn't been thrown out and I found it in a storage crate last year...now my friends 'forbid' me to throw it out as we've become a bit sentimental about it!


During the afternoon a number of us posed beside the mannequin...

 Some of the 'boys' catching up...

 One of my former classmates came all the way from Western Australia where he works for the department of agriculture...here we are last Saturday...

And here we are 48 years  a long time ago...forgive the blurriness...my mother was famous for her blurry photos! lol



This is my friend Richard who came all the way from PNG to attend the reunion. Richard handed out strings of 'money shells' to each of us...note the lovely woven basket he carried all the strings of shells in...In my last year of school, Richard made a cupcake for my birthday complete with a candle...a lovely boy who grew into a lovely man.


Peter, the man in this photo, not only went through 12 years of school with me, but also our children all attended the same school so we served on the same P&C committee for years.


We had a lovely surprise when the couple below dropped in on the celebrations...

These are 2 of the most popular and respected teachers at our old school. He is still an inspiring maths teacher but not in the school system any more. She was my geography teacher for year 10-12 and as well as teaching me that subject she taught me to develop organisational skills and resilience to continue to strive to do my very best...a wonderful teacher!! I've always been proud of my A in the Senior Public Exam!

 And here is our group photo taken by my friend Jean, who set the timer on her camera and then ducked into the photo on the front right (dark top).

Some of my classmates are still working but most are retired and enjoying the good life...but none of us know where all those years have gone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fun get together.xx

Noela said...

How lovely you all look and such a great turn out of your former classmates. Hugs......

Paul said...

Time does go by so fast! Sadly I've never been to any class reunions. Looks like you had a great time!

Susan said...

It looks like a wonderful day. My next reunion will be in 2014 - we have decided to meet every 5 years now instead of 10...as we get a little older...

Maria said...

What a great day for you all. Love the maniquin with the old uniform.
Nice group photo...

creations.1 said...

What a lovely day for all of you - and what a great group of people you must have all been a few years ago at school! I bet a few eyebrows were raised along the mannequins route!!!

Lin said...

What a lovely day and such wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

You must have lots of happy memories of school days shared with this group of friends Maria.
A lovely group photo.