Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The summer rains finally got here...

Most would be aware that here in Queensland, at the moment our weather is being affected by an ex tropical cyclone, Oswald. This has brought rain, winds and even a number of mini tornadoes and just about all the eastern seaboard of the state, plus now the coast of NSW has been affected. A number of cities and towns have, or will, flood and the severe winds have done a lot of damage in some areas. Many people have already suffered considerable damage to their homes (from flooding and also the tornadoes) and many more await the flood peaks expected both today and tomorrow and expect their homes to be affected by flooding again. People who were flooded in 2011 must be so stressed, anxious and on 'tenterhooks'...poor things!

Where DH and I live, we're fine...just a soggy back yard, leaves and twigs and small branches blown to the ground and a dampness in a lot of the furnishings. Last night the winds were very strong and I lay in bed wondering whether any of the roof tiles would dislodge...or whether a neighbour's tree would fall on our house and front veranda...you know all those thoughts that make it hard to sleep. None of those 'disasters' happened though! So once again DH and I are very fortunate in that we live on a hill.


On Saturday the strong winds blew my pukeko ornament off a table on the veranda. I bought it on our last trip to NZ because I think that they are a beautiful bird. When this one broke I quickly removed other little statues and a lantern to a safer spot...poor pukeko!


This was taken on Saturday afternoon when the rain became heavier...

Reflections in the water on the veranda! (the plate had had a snack of chicken scraps for  Eduardo :-)) 



The view from the kitchen window...looking west. Those pencil pines in the photo were bending with the wind at alarming angles, but every time  I took a photo they were upright! lol

The winds just blew the rain on to the veranda. The rain is so heavy to the north east that the homes and the hill in the distance are 'invisible'
I managed to bring in some of the cushions and a quilt which  are normally on the cane sofa on the veranda; they still 'feel' damp so we're looking forward to sunshine to dry and air everything.
The winds just stripped the crepe myrtle trees of most of their leaves...

My frangipani is 'listing'. It normally stands up straighter and gives a bit of summer shade to the garden bed in the background. I have to investigate the reason for the list...
Just got a text message from DD2. She and her housemate have been without power for 16 hours and they need to charge their phones. And of course DH and I have been fortunate enough to have power (and a working phone land line, which many people don't have at the moment), so the girls can recharge their phones here.
Spare a thought for those who are not so fortunate here at the moment.

10 comments:

kaiteM said...

I do and i am sparing thoughts for those affected by the winds and rain, and all the poor animals which have been lost downstream. This Summer has been another disaster one.

Anonymous said...

sounds terrifying maria,glad you are alright,stay safe.xx

Maria said...

I am sew pleased you are and your DD are safe and dry..
My thoughts are with the poor folk who are having lots of problems..

Unknown said...

We've been glued to the news for the last couple of days,Maria. I sometimes fight tears when I see what some are going through and I feel so helpless. Glad to hear that you're safe. Hugs Sue

Dorothy said...

So glad to hear that you're ok. I've been thinking about you and the other K4BN people, hoping nobody has been affected by the weather. We're getting very dramatic reports down here and my thoughts are with everybody concerned. My step-mother lives at Miami on the Gold Coast - I spoke with her this morning and she was ok. Hope she's still that way. Take care. xoxox

Jane said...

Glad to hear that you're ok, some parts of Australia have taken a real battering over the last couple of years

Paul Forster said...

Shame about your pukeko ornament. Sounds like you've got off lightly compared to many others.

Vireya said...

I hope you are still OK after yesterday's storms and floods.

Anonymous said...

Pleased to hear that you have survived the wild weather. It was pretty scary there for a while. So sorry for the folk who have lost so much.

Cheryl said...

thinking of you up there Maria - hope things bit dryer today. Lots of cleaning up by looks