Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2012

Some well loved decorations at our place...

In 2008, DH and I travelled to the UK and Europe. At some of the tourist attractions, I noticed some very cute felt figures and I ended up buying a number of these as souvenirs of our trip. In that year, the British Pound was worth $AUD2.50 and I think that I paid about GBP6.50 for each of them and did feel a bit guilty at the time, about how much money I was spending on Christmas tree decorations. I bought some in Edinburgh Castle, the Tower of London, the Museum of Transport in London and St Paul's Cathedral and one of the buildings in Bath that we toured, that I can remember...there may have been more places. 

Group photo! All unwrapped from the tissue paper, ready for the tree...

Each year since 2008, these decorations go on our tree. I have also used them at school to decorate a tree in the staffroom for our Christmas in July celebrations. I may have felt some guilt but I've never regretted buying them...the 'teacher in me' looks to the time when there are grandchildren in our family who will love these figures as much as I do. The other day I actually found online the company which markets these decorations, and they all still available.  


A Scots Guard and the Archbishop of Canterbury

A Roman soldier and a Roman wealthy lady...bought in Bath. Also in the photo are my Beefeaters and  Queens' Guards

Lord nelson and a London Bobby

Henry V111 of course...but I only bought 2 of his wives...

The rather tragic Mary Queen of Scots...
I also have some other felt figures which also decorate the tree and they have been around for a while...namely 2 angels and a Santa made of felt and a dolly peg. My girls made these when they were still at primary school and I love them! It's always been a family joke that the blonde angel looks like Patsy from the TV show AB Fab (Absolutely Fabulous)...well the 'hair' looks like it's in a 'french roll', lol! 


And this is the Santa.
Now it looks like that online store back in the UK has a very reasonable flat rate for postage...I might just think about those other 4 wives of Henry...it does seem a shame that they can't all be 'together'on the tree ! 
:-)

8 comments:

twinpeakprimitives said...

OMG- I've fallen in love with all of them...

Claud said...

Those are lovely Maria!

Maria said...

Oh go on Other Maria... they are sew cute you do need more...

Kath said...

Hello Maria, I thought I'd come over and say hello, after you left me a comment on the Hexalong blog.
I enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your photos.
I like your little figures, they are so cute.

Sue Grier said...

Maria they are beautiful. I love that you still kept the ones your children made.

Naturally Carol said...

Isn't it funny to think that soon they will be passing a law to make a female first child eligible for the throne of England...I'm sure some of those beheaded wives of the past would not have lost their lives! I think your fabulous collection was well worth all of the years of pleasure you're having with them.

Anthea said...

Definitely get Henry some more wives Maria! They all look so lovely, enjoy x

Susan said...

Hi Maria - it was great to meet you on Sunday - sorry I couldnt have stayed longer to chat properly. Those ornaments are lovely - certainly you need those wives. And maybe one more each year just to keep it going...