Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Some more decorating...'old friends'


In a previous post I mentioned that I have sorted through all the boxes of stored Christmas decorations and have found decorations that I'd completely forgotten about, just like this one... 

I don't know for sure which DD made this but it would have been in her primary school years; possibly at After School Care. My daughters both attended ASC because I was the coordinator of the centre at their school. The paddlepop sticks have been glued to a piece of card and then the message written on with crayon pens. What a treasure and I had forgotten all about it!


Now the next 'forgotten' decoration also has a bit of a story attached to it. It is worked on plastic canvas and the lady who made it, is now no longer with us...she passed away about 5 years ago.
 Audrey was a retired kindergarten teacher who was really 'into craft'. When some funds were needed in our parish, she stitched these wall hangings to sell to raise funds. I bought 4 and gave 3 away as gifts...leaving this one for our family Christmases. I had also forgotten about it and it just sat in one of the boxes in the cupboard. It's brought back lots of happy memories.
A close-up of the stitching



Now the next item has been out on display at Christmas, the last 2 years after I found it all wrapped up in tissue paper at the bottom of a box of decorations.  And it has a bit of a story attached to it as well :-)
Quite a few years ago I saw the plate in a magazine ad and 'just had to have it', but it was being sold through the 'Bradford Exchange' which is similar to the Franklin Mint. These companies sell 'collectibles' but once you buy something, they pester you for ever with mail outs and offers. I ended up buying the plate as I thought that it was so cute and my DDs and I are all cat lovers. There are some real personalities amongst those cats, including some herald angels! These companies sell far too many of each item for them to be valuable, but I didn't buy it as an investment, so that's alright :-)  .
  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what special memories all these have,how nice there stories are.xx

Cheryll said...

Your plate is gorgeous! Love the reasons why we buy what we buy...makes some interesting reading!

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post Maria. Reminding me that I must get out my own decorations. I have enjoyed reading your blog this year. Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Naturally Carol said...

I've left some of my treasures 'in the box' this year...next year they just may be the ones that come 'out of the box'!

Anthea said...

What gorgeous treasures Maria! Each of them having such a lovely history...
I kept lots of the Christmas things my kids made when they were very young, & bring them out from time to time... great memories !
x

Becky said...

That plate is so cute!