Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Fundraising...

In my last post I mentioned the palm crosses that our parish makes and sells to raise monies. On Sunday I found out the 'figures' for 2018; total number of crosses made was 7120 and money raised was $3204!
And at our Sunday Stitchers meetup for March, there was also some impressive fundraising by our smallish group. The focus this year was the Melanoma Institute and the Tour de Cure. So instead of the ubiquitous 'pink themed food' morning tea, we chose Yellow or Blue coloured foods. Hmmm...blue is a challenge to get variety and not have an oversupply of cupcakes with blue icing!! 😄
I took along a small platter with 2 types of blue vein cheese with some rather yellow rice crackers. And my other offering was some dried mango, dried pears and some rather ' moreish ' slices of dried ginger. These I placed in rows alternating with blueberries.

The next photo shows our delicious spread in our meeting room...

Some yellow feather boas added to our themed decor...

To raise money that day, we had all been invited to bring items from our craft stashes for a 'bring and buy' table...it was very popular and some of the ladies came with small suitcases of items. I suspect they planned to not take that much home again though! 😆

( at the end of the day the items left were bundled up and have since been donated to The Nest, a community based group who raise funds for their programs for women and children by selling haberdashery etc crafting items)
We also had a Raffle to raise funds...many thanks to Michelle for the main prize and thank you to Sandi for the Easter themed prizes.

Inca won the first prize!

As usual, we had lots of fun at our monthly stitching day, but let's get to the 'nitty gritty'; how much did we raise? We had agreed in a previous month that we would contribute some of our reserve funds which have built up quite nicely and add these to whatever we made from the raffles and 'bring and buy' items. So our grand total was $644 which was split between the 2 charities. Great achievement!
This is my 'loot' from the Bring and Buy table. We were all very lucky that Sandi was decluttering and brought along finished items that she had made just for the pleasure of the making, but with no real idea of what she would do with them. Her work is exquisite so I'm very happy with my haul which will be mainly gifts.

And also in March, Chookyblue is once again doing the March Charge ( a walking challenge) to raise funds for Cancer Research and Support for Sufferers. DH and I made the easy decision to sponsor Donna again this year.
So lots of busy busy people working hard to raise funds for others...but then, isn't that what life is all about?




4 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wonderful efforts Maria. We did have a great day. You were like me and not immune to Sandis loving sewing either lol! Some lovely treasure there.

Vireya said...

Well done to all concerned!

You gave yourselves a big challenge with "yellow and blue food", but I think you met the challenge brilliantly.

Chookyblue...... said...

looks like a fun day.......and you raised some great money.........
Thankyou so much for my support......very much appreciated.........made me walk even further......

Resonant Brain said...

I've been to events at other places, but this was my first time in here. Great place. Food was good and seating was very comfortable. Also, very good view from where I sat. This is such a cool venue NYC and the atmosphere was equally amazing.