Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Twiddle muffs?

What are these you may ask? Well they are another clever solution to help calm dementia patients. Some are sewn, others are crocheted and some are knitted. Basically the design is a lined 'tube' and attached securely on both the inside and outside of the muff, are objects such as buttons, beads and loops/bows. The dementia patients 'twiddle' with these attached objects and apparently this action is very calming for them. 
Recently, Cheryl, a member of K4BN made some twiddle muffs for the group to distribute to nursing homes for use with their dementia patients. 


At last Monday's Scarborough Knit and Natter, the ladies had fun trying out Cheryl's handiwork. 
Here's Karen, the founder of K4BN modelling one for us. 

Great job Cheryl! 
There are a number of websites that offer a pattern for the twiddle muffs. Here is just one of many. But they are all fairly similar to each other. 

6 comments:

Kate said...

These aren't something I've heard of but definitely are a good idea!

Cynthia said...

II had never heard of a twiddle muff but it seems a good idea. I can't watch tv without my hands being busy. Maybe I need one!

doodles n daydreams said...

What a wonderful idea. I worked in a dementia unit for several years but we never had these and I think they would have been so beneficial to some of our residents.

Diana

margaret said...

these are new to me but whht s good idea if they help the sufferers

Nanette said...

Oh, seeing that one on Karen's hand I realised they're big...the first pic I thought they were palm size. What a great idea, I might make some for a friend who works with people with dementia, and her her mother has it also. Thanks for showing us Maria.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These are a good idea and the ones you have made look lovely :)
Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)