Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wool on...any day ending with a ‘y’.

From February 2016 I wrote dozens of monthly posts titled Wool on Sundays. The idea of bloggers sharing posts about fibre arts such as knitting, crocheting and stitching was the brainchild of Janine who organised the link ups through her delightful Rainbow Hare blog. 
Times and directions change, and this forum for sharing ‘yarny’ projects is no longer a formal monthly feature. And even though I’ve been a bit slack at blogging in recent times, I’ve found that I really miss chatting about projects. So here’s my version, Wool on any day of the week! Lol

In a previous post written in the last month, I showed some photos of blankets made for Knitting for Brisbane’s Needy; a combination of crocheted squares given to me and some granny squares made by me. The solid squares made by my friend Susan were perfect for a plan I’d finally come up with on how to use a big bundle of crocheted motifs that had been passed on to me a few years ago. 


Originally I thought I’d square them up by crocheting more rounds. But I went off that idea as the motifs were quite thin which I thought would not make the resultant blanket warm for the homeless. So I’ve stitched them to the solid squares; the stitches disappearing into the crocheting, so the backs of the squares are neat. 


All the squares laid out ready to be joined together...


Finished blanket ready to keep someone warm. 


A few months ago I bought some Bendigo Woollen Mill’s Classic 8 ply online. It took a while to arrive which wasn’t surprising as on the BWM Facebook page they showed a photo of huge wire bins full of parcels ready to be posted. The company had been overwhelmed with the support from knitters all around Australia. And apparently the orders are still coming in  as witnessed by this recent FB post. 


Some incredible statistics there! And this is what I’m making with my order...the variegated Shepherd yarn was in my stash...completely forgotten about for a number of years too 🙄😉


It’s lovely working with wool again. 

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We moved to California. I'm pretty sure I won't be making wool blankets here. I think I'm going to miss crochet. Before I moved I gave almost every bit of my yarn to a church group. I have a variegated yarn that I just couldn't part with. I enjoyed seeing your projects and reading your post.
xx, Carol

Maria said...

Lots of lovely warm blankets Maria to gift and keep someone warm.

Cynthia said...

Your blanket is so pretty and cheerful. Now we know what everyone has been doing during the covid lockdowns — knitting! I was, too, a baby blanket for a new grandson in August.

Jackie said...

The blanket is lovely, what a great idea to sew them onto more sturdy squares. It will definitely keep someone cosy.

Wow, those statistics are wonderful.

God bless.

Bette said...

Love how you were able to use the motifs on the plain squares. Perfect case of different items working together to create something beautiful. And the statistics about the yarn being ordered is just amazing.

Lin said...

Nice use of those motifs Maria - they work well with the square desing on the other blocks. Pretty knitting project too. xx

mamasmercantile said...

Loved the idea of the motifs on the squares adding a little extra warmth too, so very pretty.