Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Lots of ‘firsts’...

I’m gradually recording the life changes and adaptations that have occurred in my life throughout the lockdown, social isolation and social distancing measures caused by the Pandemic. Pondering has become quite a big thing in my life and one conclusion I’ve come to is that life in recent months has been a whole series of ‘firsts’. In this post I’ll write about one of the first ‘firsts’ that occurred...worship in a pandemic. 
Like many parishes, we went online. Firstly we tried out a free version of the Zoom app but that is limited to 40 mins per session, but it was good to get a feel for the technology. A lot of us were familiar with FaceTime and Skype but many parishioners weren’t. But even our 90 year olds started to embrace the system. Very soon, the parish moved to a paid version of the app (paid for by the Diocese so we were no longer restricted to 40 min meetings) and not only was it used for services, but also parish meetings and training sessions for our trainee priest placement. 

Palm Sunday was a ‘first’. I wanted DH and I to have the little palm crosses so I had looked around the garden for leaves I could use as we don’t have a Queen’s palm tree that is traditionally used. I thought, dianella, liriope or lomandra leaves could be used but thought I might try strips of the leaves of the pony tail palm which apparently isn’t a palm tree after all. 




It worked perfectly! I used what I had available and it had worked. But I’d been prepared to try those other leaves if it hadn’t worked out. You know that old saying about ‘necessity’ and the ‘mother of invention’. 


And I cut a frond off another palm-like tree which was self-sown  years ago in our backyard to place behind our chairs in lieu of the normal Palm Sunday procession. 


We used an iPad for the Zoom meeting which only has room on the screen for 9 participants. You have to scroll sideways to see everybody. But some people used their PCs and this friend with a large monitor sent us all this photo. 



And through the wonders of Zoom, we had Bishop Jeremy as a guest preacher. We were all in different places but could be ‘together’ in another sense. 





Soon I’m going to write a post about Easter 2020 and there will be ‘firsts’ in that too! 

5 comments:

angela said...

I remember making those crosses in primary school.
Well done on making do with what you had. Perfect
For those that really love being in their church community it’s been hard
Yes this Easter was very different and difficult for many
I’m glad you were able to have some sort of service

Maria said...

So good that you could have your Palm Sunday service through Zoom.

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, as I am a volunteer with TAFE teaching English to a Yazidi lady, we had a Zoom meeting with our co-ordinator so I had to download the App and get used to Zoom. It isn't too bad and like you I used my iPad and didn't realise I had to swipe the screen to see everyone but worked it out after a while. We've had to learn a few new tricks these past few months as you say.

Susan said...

very creative with your crosses...imagine how it would have been without all the technology we have now.

mamasmercantile said...

It has been strange not going to Church and like you it was a first using the computer to connect with others for the service. Strange times.