Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

An unexpected trip interstate

Last week I had an unexpected trip interstate to Victoria. Unfortunately my daughters’ father had passed away and I was needed to accompany them to help with their 2 children. 
Here we are at 6am at Brisbane Airport...


Travelling with little children has always been a challenge and in our case we had a 2 hour flight, followed by a 2 1/2 hour drive before reaching our destination. 







The girls had lots of appointments etc so my job was to look after the little ones. Most of the time we stayed in the motel room as outside was quite cold and there was even some rain. 
I had brought some items in my luggage to help occupy a 1 and 2 year old.
Two little cuties ‘reading’ some of the picture books I brought with me 😍



And of course I had a scribble pad plus some coloured pencils...


And who doesn’t love a picnic? Even if the picnic cloth is a towel and the picnic is inside 😜


No photos but one day that I was minding the girls, we went outside to a little grassed area in the motel grounds and had ‘races’. Holly loves playing what she calls, ‘Ready Set Go!’ So with me pushing little Carrie in the stroller, Holly, Carrie and I played races...I got puffed before them! 🥴😂
We also played dressups with items in my suitcase...




And because DD1 and DD2 are modern young mums, they had downloaded children’s shows on their iPads and this Grandma was quite happy to use these to amuse my charges. 


And 2 of the teddies that live at my place also came on our trip as I knew that Miss Holly loves playing with them...


The brown bear is called Billy Bob and he averted a few ‘meltdowns’ as he is a particular favourite of Holly’s. 
The 5 days flew past and we were all relieved when the funeral was over.  It was in Maryborough where the girls’ dad had eventually relocated. I made sure I introduced myself to their dad’s partner as it was ridiculous how we had both pretended we hadn’t noticed each other. 
And so on the Saturday we drove from Avoca where we had stayed, back to Melbourne to catch our flight home. 
It was great to be home! 



12 comments:

Maria said...

Great Mum and Gran to have supported your girls and help with the little ones....

mamasmercantile said...

What a great support you must have been to them. Amazing what games you can play from very little.

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, that would have been quite the challenge travelling with and looking after the girls. Plus I guess it would have been a sad time for your girls. I can imagine how cold it would have been down there. Brrr!

Brigie said...

Wow, what a big job you had but of course a wonderful and helpful one. Maryborough is about 1 hour north from our place. Shame you were there for this purpose only as Avoca is lovely. Hope your girls are ok. Glad that you are all back home safe and sound.

Vireya said...

I'm sure it must have been a relief to arrive back in the relative warmth of Brisbane. Your girls are very lucky that you could take care of the gorgeous grand-girls during this difficult time.

Jackie said...

You must have been tuckered out from the races, what a great grandma you are.

God bless.

Susan said...

A challenging trip in many ways...Your girls are happy to have you.

Lin said...

What an inventive Grandma you are! Quality time with your little ones so a plus out of a difficult time. xx

angela said...

What a great gran you are. You must be exhausted
Yes iPads are a marvel I wish they had been around when I had babies lol

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh geez. Taking care of two tots so young and so close in age in a motel room must have been a challenge. Glad to see you made it though in one piece. But at least you got to spend time with them and daughters were surely grateful for your help.
xx, Carol

Kim said...

Gosh, what a week you have had Maria. It looks as your two little granddaughters had the funnest time with you in the motel.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your grandchildren are adorable. Although it was a sad occasion and, no doubt had it's challenges, it looks like they had a lovely time with you :)