Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Melbourne Visit...


DH and I headed off to Melbourne on November 20 for a week in this southern capital city. 
After we arrived at our accommodation in Spencer St, right in the middle of the area known as Docklands, I was quite impressed with DH’s choice of where we were to stay. The apartment was very nice, but it was the view I loved! 
DH pointed out Flemington Racecourse ( home of the Melbourne Cup race) in this view.


We were 34 floors up but the balcony was so narrow so no table and chairs to linger in


A view of part of the Yarra River and a good view of the Docklands area; so different from the original docklands...


The roof of Southern Cross Station 


A trainspotters dream 😉 We could look down and watch the country trains coming ( and going) from Southern Cross Station...and the suburban trains coming out from a tunnel. 


Our first outing was across the road to the station to get my 4 year old MYKI card ( stored credit travel card) replaced as it was out of date and we hadn’t been able to add credit online back at home. I was impressed that the $5+ credit I had on the old card was transferred to my new one. We have similar cards from a number of states and even some overseas ones and I’m so used to losing money  on out of date ones. Big tick to Victoria 👍! 
Attached to the station is an Outlet Centre so we went in there for a coffee and then to a supermarket to get food supplies for our stay. So we were inside 45 minutes at the most. When we left Coles, this is what greeted us...




It was the heavy rain which had accompanied a storm...and we’d heard nothing. And the umbrella was up in our room but it probably wouldn’t have been much use against the heavy rain...more like a tropical downpour. 
So I took off my shoes ( in Queensland style 😜) and clutching our bags of groceries we dashed across the road, getting quite wet in the process. So we walked into the foyer of this posh hotel with its marble floor, me with my head held high and clutching my shoes, dripping water on that floor and got the lift...
DH took a photo of me in the lift...


And we laughed all the way to our apartment and nice hot showers. So this latest adventure had started. 

8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

What a shame about the weather, nut at least you laugh about it.

Pink Rose said...

lol Maria i did enjoy your story,just came back from spending a day in Melbourne last night,though the weather was different to yours,we had a very hot and sticky muggy day. Lovely pics of a lovely time in Melb.

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, we are looking at apartments in Melbourne to stay in. I think I did come across that one online. Good to know it was a great place to stay. I will have to pick your brains about Melbourne if we do make a booking. I haven't been there for many hears. It's a bit up in the air at present about whether or when we will go down there.

Vireya said...

This is why I always carry an umbrella in my bag!

Jackie said...

Oh my, from the looks of it, it was coming down in buckets. I hope the rest of your time there was not as wet.

God bless.

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Maria, that's a great apartment and views.
Oh, gosh, the weather ... and that was a beaut photo of you in the lift! ;D)

Susan said...

Typical Melbourne - all the seasons in one day.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You gotta love a person that is not afraid of getting wet!! I do hope the weather is more cooperative for the rest of your stay.
xx, Carol