Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Christmas 2018

Christmas has come and gone once again. This year the decorating was low key and many items stayed in their boxes. 
But the older granddaughters still had fun and loved being able to touch items. The few ‘precious’ items on display were up high so everyone could relax. 
This year I decided to incorporate my 1970s Dickens’ characters Toby jugs in the decorations...up high! Lol
Photo shows the start of decorating the hutch with those little jugs


The bottom shelf had the knitted Nativity which little hands could reach and play with...


And I absentmindedly left my little step ladder there which Miss A quickly took advantage of...of course! 


At night I had some LED lights threaded along the shelves which the girls loved.



And on our recent holiday I had found some reindeer lights which I loved so much that I bought them! 😉😆


And I found some other lights at Big W...little cottages.









Another new addition to my Christmas decor this year was a red sleigh. Our parish Christmas hamper raffle was packaged up in one so I asked the organisers where they had got it. It was from Kmart and $15 and folds flat for storage. It’s made of thick felt like fabric so could be manhandled by the little girls without hurting them or scratching the flooring...



That sleigh got pushed all around the house filled with dolls, teddies and other assorted soft toys. Some wore Santa Hats which were actually hats for dogs that I’d bought from the ‘cheap shop’ last year specifically for dolls. 


The family all gathered on Christmas Eve for a relaxed meal together which was the highlight of Christmas 2018 for DH and I.

I had filled a basket with decorations that the little girls could use to decorate the small tree but Holly preferred to just sit and play with each item...

She had so much fun with them!

 
And in a little tradition that started with Anthea’s first Christmas, each of the grandies got a little handmade ornament from me. So Anthea now has 3, Holly 2 and the others 1. Next year I think I will make a drawstring bag for each of them to store their ‘grandma decorations ‘. 

And that was Christmas for another year. 

6 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

How lovely to see the little ones at Christmas, Maria. This hear I didn't put up any decorations...the first time ever. Maybe next year if the family comes down south. All the best for 2019!

Cynthia said...

Such sweet ways to include the children with worry-free decorations! I’m glad you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you and yours a Happy New Year as well.

Vireya said...

Christmas is obviously so much more special when there are children involved. What a delight to see your grandchildren enjoying your magical Christmas decorations!

We finally had our Christmas family meal yesterday, and the youngest person there was 26. No-one to get excited about any of it.

All the best for a wonderful 2019, to you and your whole family!

angela said...

Sounds like the perfect Christmas to me
Happy new year to you and your family

Maria said...

How wonderful to have all your GDs and family around to share christmas..
You bought some lovely new decorations...

Jindi's Cottage said...

Lovely...I've never seen reindeer or cottage shaped fairy lights (not that I've looked mind you) how fun are they...great sled...