Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2018

One dress; four little girls.

In 1982 when DD1 was one, she was given a little dress for her birthday from her daycare mum Margaret. At her little family party, I dressed her in that dress...


Not really a very good photo of the dress unfortunately but it was pretty and became a much loved outfit of both DD1 and later on, her little sister. DD1 was to give the dress a name; the ‘Polly Put the Kettle On Dress’ after the illustration of that nursery rhyme character in one of her books. Polly’s dress looked so similar. No photos of DD2 in the dress have been found but she did wear it, and love it! 

Well, I kept that dress plus a few other favourites. But by the time my girls had their own children, fashions had changed and they weren’t really interested at all in their old dresses. But in a last hurrah before the stored clothes were ‘despatched’ to new homes, I lovingly washed the little ‘Polly dress’ and...


Yep! I first tried the dress on Miss Holly when she came to us for minding on her usual Friday...


Then the next day we visited DD1, her hubby and baby Carrie. And yes, we dressed her in her mum’s dress too! 


And a sort of re-creation of that 1982 photo but with an armchair instead of a high chair.


So there you have it; 2 generations in 1 dress 😃. 

13 comments:

Jackie said...

How sweet is that. That dress is in wonderful condition and I love the pinafore look.

God bless.

Vireya said...

Love the recreated photo with the next generation. Very sweet!

Sue (this n that) said...

They all look so sweet in that pretty dress.
I love how you've recorded all who have worn it right to present day Maria :D)

angela said...

Love the photos
It’s so cool when we can use what we had for our children for our grandchildren
But yes fashions change so the old things are not wanted or needed

Dorothy said...

What a lovely idea to have kept that sweet little dress all this time. Shame fashion has changed so dramatically - the two girls look really gorgeous in that dress. I have a christening gown carefully stashed away - made from the ribbon lace train of my wedding dress and worn by both my daughters, borrowed by a friend for their 2 children and then again 4 years ago by my grandson Oliver. Hopefully it will go on for another few generations.

Susan said...

Lovely story - I hope to be able to reuse some items from my two daughters too.

mamasmercantile said...

That is a lovely story. Beautiful children and dress. The only dress I ever saved was the Christening gown.

Lin said...

How lovely Maria - I hope you are going to keep it. xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Aww thats lovely xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It's so wonderful to have the dress handed down to the next generation. It may just go to the next, if there are girls to wear it. We still have a few things from my daughter, but she had two boys. My first grandson is expecting his first child that is a boy, but you never know if there will be another baby in the future. Great post.
xx, Carol

Cynthia said...

How sweet! I'm sure you plan to keep it safe to hand on to the next generation.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You should definitely keep that dress. Everyone looks adorable in it :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Just had to stop by …
They all look so adorable in that pretty dress.

All the best Jan